Heatilator Exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

double-d

Feeling the Heat
Feb 8, 2011
Northern Michigan - Mio
I am looking to purchase a Heatilator A42C, and would like to know if the Selkirk metalbestos double wall pipe will adapt right to this unit , or do I have to purchase what the dealer offers me.

I believe you need the proper flue for this unit, with fresh air chimeny return set up. One of the heatilator guys should be along soon to answer. ive only owned house that had a like set up, and it had insulated venting flue, with fresh air intake. Welcome to the site, and hold on for more info than you can handle!!!

My contractor wants to take it up about 6' through brick, then 90 degree to the outside and up the side of the house. I,m not sure about the 90 degree or if 15 degree is all a double wall pipe can do.

welcome double-d. No 90s allowed, only 30s or less. He should know that.

Show the contractor page 26 of the manual. I sure hope he hasn't tried this on other houses. Do you really want him installing this?

http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/installManuals/28396.pdf

Warning! Risk of Fire! Do not use offset/returns greater than 30°. Chimney draft will be restricted and could cause
overheating and fire.

FWIW, We get an awful lot of folks here that are either tearing these units out or are having to retrofit an insert into them in order to get decent heat. Have you thought about alternatives?

We have had a heatilator unit in our home for 20 years. You aren't going to get much heat out of it. Just a little warmth in the room it is on a mild day. That's why we installed the Vermont Castings Intrepid. In hindsight, I would never put a heatilator in again.

Also, the blowers on the heatilators are not big enough to move enough air to make a difference. the whole thing was very frustrating. I would look for a Plan B. Meaning some type of insert or wood stove. I can open the doors on my stove and set a screen in there to watch the fire. Actually, I can lift the doors off totally and have the screen in. It is a lot like a fireplace then.

Status
Not open for further replies.