Heating oil heading down...time to fill-up for winter '10-'11??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just checked CODoil.com for my area (Hudson Vally, NY), and HHO for delivery is down....time to fill-up, or wait longer?

*100 - 149 gallons: $2.499
150 - 199 gallons: $2.349
200 - 299 gallons: $2.349
300 - 499 gallons: $2.319
500+ gallons: $2.289

Please note that your final invoice will depend upon a number of factors including:

A sales tax may apply (depending on your location).
*A delivery surcharge is applicable for deliveries less than 150 gallons.

I won't pay the difference if I am wrong, but with inventories of gasoline and distillate at twenty year highs for this time of year I don't think you are going to see any increase in the next two to three months. Making it worth the bet to wait and see if prices come down further. With inventories this high no "event" or incremental increase in demand is going to do much to prices. Crack spreads have started to come down under the pressure so in a little while we will see refinery utilization start to come down since it won't be as profitable to cook that dinosaur wine. But even the effect of that will be buffered by the inventory situation.

If the Euro situation eases crude should settle around sixty seven a barrel into Fall according to my foggy crystal ball.

BrotherBart said:
I won't pay the difference if I am wrong, but with inventories of gasoline and distillate at twenty year highs for this time of year I don't think you are going to see any increase in the next two to three months. Making it worth the bet to wait and see if prices come down further. With inventories this high no "event" or incremental increase in demand is going to do much to prices. Crack spreads have started to come down under the pressure so in a little while we will see refinery utilization start to come down since it won't be as profitable to cook that dinosaur wine. But even the effect of that will be buffered by the inventory situation.

If the Euro situation eases crude should settle around sixty seven a barrel into Fall according to my foggy crystal ball.
thanx! wonder if the darkening of the gulf waters will intensify possible hurricanes?

My guy is $2.22 a gal 100 gal min. 12 days ago he was 2.47. I am still at just under 1/4 a tank @ 275. Filled up Sept. 30 , '09. Which also does my DHW in a POORLY insulated home.

KC

Being my boss is an oil guy and I have the chance to learn from him..It seems like oil may have bottomed out. If Europe faulters more we can have a little more of a decrease, but with oil as low as it is, the general feeling is that investors will need very little prodding (hurricanes, good unemployment data, etc) to march it back up towards 80 bucks a barrell. I would guess that by start of the heating season (mid to end sept) heating oil will be right around $2.75-$3.00 per gallon. So if it was me and I used oil, I would have been filling my tank this week. Why wait? For the chance it may go lower?

Oil is $2.499 plus tax for a total of $2.67 gallon minimum of 150 gallons but no decrease for large purchases.

I'd buy at prices of approx. 2.25.
As BB says, you might not hit exact bottom, but I think you will do better than waiting until the fall/winter.

We still have in play factors such as the Saudis and OPEC saying $70 is the floor (and it is less than that today).

Add to that the geo-political situation, and who knows? I suspect BB may be correct and we may even see south of $60, but my money is on more than that next winter!

Crude oil down $2.44 to $67.77 at 9am today...it's following stocks which are projected to be down over 200 points today.

This market is really nose diving. I expected traders to take advantage of the low prices and buy barrells. Aint happenin yet. We just dropped our fuel oil price to $2.41 per gallon. It's been a while since I seen it that low

Would somebody tell the fuel suppliers that over-the-road diesel is essentially the same product and reduce the price at the pump! I'm sick of paying $0.40 more for diesel (than gasoline) when there is no underlying reason for it to be so high.

Sorry to steal the thread for a moment, I just had to get that off my chest.

TboneMan said:
Would somebody tell the fuel suppliers that over-the-road diesel is essentially the same product and reduce the price at the pump! I'm sick of paying $0.40 more for diesel (than gasoline) when there is no underlying reason for it to be so high.

Sorry to steal the thread for a moment, I just had to get that off my chest.
I heard on the radio one day where the demend for diesel stays more constant due to all the trucks using it so it keeps the price up there some times.

It's mostly because of how it is taxed. At least in NYS. Do a little research about the Kero/Diesel taxes you'll see it has little to do with suppliers and more to do with gooberment

Oh I'm well aware of the taxes and such, demand also. The price is also tied to the price of crude and if anything while demand for over-the-road is relatively constant (especially in this economy) given heating season is over, the cut of over-the-road fuels should be greater and reduce any supply issues.

I don't mean for this to turn into a diesel price thread. My goal was just to vent.

I'm happy I have a fuel tank of propane and 4 ton of pellets coming in July at $219/ton delivered (I still have a ton leftover from last year).

Frank, I need to get my door to you for re-roping sometime this summer. Sections were falling apart when I did my shutdown cleaning Sunday.

$500 for a gasket job! Call me before you come, I'll be out a lot this summer on training. My boss is taking on propane fuel delivery as part of his business. A bunch of us have been doing some heavy duty propane education stuff.

The wife talked to our oil dealer today asking when we might expect the "CAP" agreement in the mail. Should be mailed out quickly with a CAP of 2.99 a gallon!!!!!!!!!

We had 100 gals delivered about a month ago @ $2.57/gal.
Last week we topped off the tank @ $2.29/gal (89 gal)

Need to set up delivery date for our 4 tons.

Current pricing from COD Oil in my area:

Current Prices (per gallon)
as of 6/1/2010 1:43:00 PM

*100 - 149 gallons: $2.499
150 - 199 gallons: $2.349
200 - 299 gallons: $2.349
300 - 499 gallons: $2.319
500+ gallons: $2.289

With the price of crude now down below $71/barrel, and heating oil commodities price down to $1.95/gal., I think I'll wait a bit longer to fill the tank

http://oil-price.net/

With the way crude oil/HHO prices have been jumping around, I decided to ensure at least a decent price before a hurricane in the gulf, or mideast problems cause the price to jump.

As you can see by my post of June 5 above, the price then for HHO was from $2.29 - 2.49/gal. I checked the price this morning on the computer from CODOil.com, and theirs has jumped 15 - 20 cents/gal to the following:

100 - 149 gallons: $2.699
150 - 199 gallons: $2.499
200 - 299 gallons: $2.499
300 - 499 gallons: $2.469
500+ gallons: $2.439

Saturday, I saw an ad in the local (rag) newspaper from another local company that advertised a "Summer Special", guaranteeing the lowest prices, so I gave them a call this morning, since I know I'm probably down to about 20-30 gal since my last 150 Gal delivery back on March 14th that cost me $2.75/gal. (I have an indirect oil fired H2O heater).

Well, even with CODOil's price jump, the people at this company honored a lower price from an ad I saw Saturday, and I have 300 Gal getting delivered tomorrow for $2.32/Gal.

It's nice to deal with a company that does what their ads say they'll do. And the woman on the phone was VERY pleasant and obviously wanted my business. So, with 7 tons of pellets & 300+ gals of HHO, I should be good to go until well into the heating season. :)

If any of my fellow pellet heads in my area of the Hudson Valley want the name of the oil company, send me a PM.

EDIT: Geeez.....just as I finish typing this, and check the news, I see a possible hurricane developing in the Atlantic......maybe for once, my timing is perfect.

With 7 tons pellets and 300 gal HHO you must be heating a barn.

slls said:
With 7 tons pellets and 300 gal HHO you must be heating a barn.

No, not a barn....a log home. The only insulation in the outside walls are the logs themselves, and they're nowhere as efficient as stud walls w/ insulation.

Also, I have no plans on burning all 7 tons....only burned 3 tons all last winter. I have 3 tons for sale.

here's what I'm trying to keep warm in the winter:

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 488
I was thought to believe logs were good insulation, guess not.

slls said:
I was thought to believe logs were good insulation, guess not.

It varies, based upon who you ask, but most log home exterior walls (that have no other insulation added) have an R rating of between 8-10. A typical 2x4 stud wall with insulation, exterior sheathing, etc, has at least an r-14 rating......obviously an 2x6 wall would be even better.

There is some additional advantage with the log thermal mass holding & releasing heat at night, but your only talking .01 /inch additional.

www.energysavers.gov/your_home/designing_remodeling/index.cfm/mytopic=10170

Hi

I have a Split Entry with 2x4 studded outside wall with old 1962 Corning Fiberglass Insulations (The s at the end - Plural is how they spelled it in those days!) is R7 !! It does have groved cedar shakes siding with backer board. Any idea what the total R Value is here?

However I did re-insulate the attic up to R53 with R19 over R4 foil crisscrossed with R30!

That said it did take 3 Tons to heat the house last winter without using oil.

Therefore the conclusion here is that the wood pellet heat is so strong and powerful the insulation does not seem to be quite as important as if heating with oil.

What do u think??

Don

Don2222 said:
Hi

I have a Split Entry with 2x4 studded outside wall with old 1962 Corning Fiberglass Insulations (The s at the end - Plural is how they spelled it in those days!) is R7 !! It does have groved cedar shakes siding with backer board. Any idea what the total R Value is here?

However I did re-insulate the attic up to R53 with R19 over R4 foil crisscrossed with R30!

That said it did take 3 Tons to heat the house last winter without using oil.

Therefore the conclusion here is that the wood pellet heat is so strong and powerful the insulation does not seem to be quite as important as if heating with oil.

What do u think??

Don

Seeing that most heat is lost out the cap, And you just increased its R value there( I am taking that you just increased it). This is where you have probably saved the energy. But I do feel much warmer with pellet heat overall. I can't compare to oil but compared to electric not only are we feeling warmer. I definetly am saving money!

Status
Not open for further replies.