Hello all, new b here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Hi folks, stumbled across this site by poking around elsewhere. I just installed a Vermont Castings, Dutchwest non cat, cast iron 2479. Working on some break in burns right now.

Presently, I have 4+ cords of red and white oak and some maple stacked covered and seasoned for about 15 months.

Also, processed about 10 cords of red oak in July.

I must have done something right on the install. I really impressed the building inspector.

I will gladly accept and tips and pros and cons.

Kind regards KC

Welcome! The best tip I can give you is to enjoy good quality beer with a fire going. Proper quality selection is important. The feet then go up on the coffee table so as to catch radiant heat from the stove as you enjoy said beer. Oh ya, prop yourself up with pillows so if you do happen to fall asleep, you won't fall over and spill your beer.

Believe me, I have that beer thing figured out!

Enjoy the cold weather comming next week. You'll really be able to put that thing to the test

iskiatomic said:
Hi folks, stumbled across this site by poking around elsewhere. I just installed a Vermont Castings, Dutchwest non cat, cast iron 2479. Working on some break in burns right now.

Presently, I have 4+ cords of red and white oak and some maple stacked covered and seasoned for about 15 months.

Also, processed about 10 cords of red oak in July.

I must have done something right on the install. I really impressed the building inspector.

I will gladly accept and tips and pros and cons.

Kind regards KC

Welcome to the forum.

Good to hear you have some seasoned wood. Just a caution on that red oak though. It usually takes 2 years to season red oak, so next year might be pressing it on that red oak you cut this July. Did you also split it immediately? If not, get that stuff split ASAP. It is just so dense that it is difficult to evaporate all the moisture from it in a short time. Splitting smaller helps though.

cmonSTART said:
Oh ya, prop yourself up with pillows so if you do happen to fall asleep, you won't fall over and spill your beer.

Doh! So that's what I'm doing wrong! :red:

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.