Hello all - new member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhagerty

Jan 10, 2011
Southern NH
Hello everyone, new member here, great site with tons of great info!

As I started my research for a new pellet insert to replace my current Majestic propane inset I found this site. Now, I’m not totally new to pellet stoves as I had one in my previous home, it was a Vermont Castings free standing stove for my three season porch. It was several years ago so I figured I needed to get back out there and see where the Industry/technology was at this point.

After several weeks of research, talking with local dealers, reading this forum, etc, I finally decided on the Harman Accentra. I pulled the trigger about 2 weeks before Christmas and was able to get the inset installed on 12/30 (just in time to take advantage of the tax rebate!).

I have had the stove running 24/7 since the afternoon of 12/30 and I would like to share my experience in case it may help other “newbie’s†like me. First, the facts.
Harman Accentra Cost - $3799 minus a $100 coupon form Harman = $3699. All the dealers around me were within a $100 bucks and none would move on the price. Business seems to be good!

Install - $450 – It took them about 3 hours to do the install, they had no issues.

Pellets – They usually include several bags but got them to include ½ ton (Maine Woods).

I removed the gas insert myself but had a Chimney Sweep inspect my current chimney and install a 4†stainless steel liner/cap – Cost $900 – install took about 3.5 hours.

Total cost - $5049 with $1244 back from the government leaving me with an investment of $3805. I currently use about 1300 gallons of oil per season heating a 3000 square foot house and my expectation was to reduce my oil consumption by 50%. From what I've seen so far I should have no problem with hitting that goal and may in fact be able to do a little better.

I do have a good set-up for the insert, as it is an open concept house. I would say the only drawback for me is I have a cathedral ceiling right over the insert but I do have ceiling fan that runs on low and does a good job of mixing the air. I am able to maintain 72 degrees downstairs and 75 degrees upstairs with outside temperatures in the 20s with no problems.

I start to lose some when the temperatures go into the low teens and single numbers but I fully expected that and in fact, I am quite surprised that the insert is holding its own at these low temperatures.

Thanks for all the great info; I look forward to a warm winter with a few extra green back in my pocket!

mhagerty said:
Hello everyone, ...
Total cost - $5049 with $1244 back from the government
:question:
Shouldn't you get $1,500.00 rather than $1,244? Doesn't the tax credit include the chimney liner and cap also up to $1,500? Check with your tax person.

Hey Boom,

I will definitely be talking with my tax preparer! For some reason I was under the impression it could not be included.

good stove, you're gonna love it! You should get the full 1500, however, as install labor and parts count towards the credit as well...

mhagerty said:
Hey Boom,

I will definitely be talking with my tax preparer! For some reason I was under the impression it could not be included.

ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that has to do with the purchase of, installation of, and running of the stove is included, except the pellets.

Stove, pipe, hearth pad, stove tools, silicone sealer, furnace tape, installation cost, etc, etc.

Need a pic or it never happened and no rebate for you ( read like soup Nazis from Seinfeld ) :cheese:

Schoondog

Welcome to the forums ! Enjoy the heat !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.