Hello from Wake Forest, NC (New Member)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZempD

Apr 24, 2012
Central NC
I've been following this forum for a while, figured it was time to join. We're finishing up our second winter of heating 100% with wood using our High Valley 2500 insert.

I've picked up a lot of useful info from you guys...maybe I'll have something to contribute soon. Spend most of my time either in this forum or "The Gear".

Currently have 4-5 cords c/s/s. We burn mostly red oak & white oak with a little maple here and there.

Reactions: ScotO
Currently have 4-5 cords c/s/s. We burn mostly red oak & white oak with a little maple here and there.
OK. My first question was going to be, "Got wood?" ==c
Welcome to the forums!

Welcome
You have quit a bit of wood c/s/s & premium stuff too.
Pictures are always good contributions :)

Welcome to the forum ZempD. And welcome to the wonderful world of wood burning too. With one year under your belt, the next year is easier. However, when you get to the point of cutting and splitting that oak and then not burning it until it has dried for 3 years, then you will really find out how good that oak is. Maple can be dried in a year for sure but we won't try that with oak. Around here it is 3 years in the stack before burning. In fact, I stacked a bunch of it today and it will stay in that stack for several years.

Welcome aboard ZempD. Sounds like you got it under control. How much do you burn in a winter ?

Welcome to the forum! I'm going to guess in North Carolina you burn 2-3 cords per winter?

Welcome to your newest addiction. We will not be responsible for your wife beating you in the head with a frying pan trying to pull you away from the computer.......;)

Reactions: Locust Post
Thanks guys!

Last winter (2010/2011), we burned about 1.5 cords. This winter was very mild and we've burned less than one cord so far. Our house is ~2000 sq ft. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.