Hello to all and an interesting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawmillman

Jan 22, 2012
central MA.
On January 1 I installed my first pellet stove its an englander pdvc; must say i am very pleased with it no problems at all been running 24/7 put 32 bags in it so far. I have been heating with wood for over 30 years , have a Charmaster forced hot air furnace in basement, but with just my wife and I here now that goes out while we are at work so this seems to be a nice soultion to maintaining a reasonable temp. I did not find this site before my installation , but it has helped with fine tuning this stove and made pellet heat quite interesting to me: so thank you all here who contribute to make this place as informative ; educational and at times comical as it is......
Since the mill i work at supplys NEWP Jafrey plant with sawdust I can buy pellets as an employee at a discount(204/ton) for this reason that is mainly the one I have been using'but i did try a couple of bags of lignetics and those are in my opinion far superior in heat out put just not at $6/ bag. I am hopeful that perhaps this comming couple of months I can find a deal on these... see you have already taught me one of the pellet principles... so i guess my "newbie" question is what are the top 10...in your book? comical or otherwise

Welcome to the Forums.

There are better pellets than others..... Yes......

But each stove, set-up, and individual is different (I like the way they smell) ;-P
So to say the top 10.... Would be impossible. People that are members here in Alaska may only have 1 brand to choose, people in Europe have brands we dont have available, and people in and around the New England area, have some of the greatest selections. (People from around the globe here).

Everyones favorites will vary by region. Here in Ohio there are not to many brands. Over the years I have tested 13 different brands. 2 of which I got in Pa on a Road Trip.

I wont give a top 10. But my Favorite 2 for my area are Somersets and Pro Pellets. For there availability, price, and performance. I still buy others for various reasons (price #1 reason and other pellets that burn well in my stoves).

What brands do you have around you? Always best to try before you buy....

I've burned a few brands but you need to understand that there is batch variation even in the top brands.

Cubex, Okies, and Barefoot are the best burning pellets I've tried.

I've had excellent results with LGs and the 2010/2011 pre 2011 shutdown and reset to run softwoods (which according to various source were excellent) MWP blends the mill was reset to run blends and I've heard differing stories on the results since then.

I found that Woodfibers inc has the best pellets to burn on a hot summer day if you want to show off the stove while not over working your AC... lol.

Attachments

• WFI up LBTU.bmp
    794.6 KB · Views: 363
With an employee discount, I would think that you should only be buying NEWP's.
If one burns hotter or longer, it will not be that much of a difference that you should go out and pay retail for them!

Just my opinion...

Bill

$204 ton of NEWP, isnt a price worth your loyalty. i do like NEWP and have scored them sub $200.

ray

Status
Not open for further replies.