Helmet check. Just a reminder!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Just got to looking at the abuse the helmets take. Look at your helmet you may find a for bruses you didnt have to take.

Attachments

• helment check..jpg
    helment check..jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 371
That reminds me: I have to fix the screen on the helmet. It keeps coming out of the nubs and gets disconnected. I have to take a look at it. I've had a fair amount of stuff bounce off that, esp. when string trimming.

velvetfoot said:
That reminds me: I have to fix the screen on the helmet. It keeps coming out of the nubs and gets disconnected. I have to take a look at it. I've had a fair amount of stuff bounce off that, esp. when string trimming.

I had one bad about that I use a zip tie. Works perfect for over a year now. They darn sure take a beating. Better than my head could. lol

smokinjay said:
... They darn sure take a beating. Better than my head could. lol
LoL, Jay. I think one of those hits knocked the proper spelling of HELMET right out of your head!

to be fair: You got it right in your post, but the title has it wrong, so I'll assume is was just a mild brain fart.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
... They darn sure take a beating. Better than my head could. lol
LoL, Jay. I think one of those hits knocked the proper spelling of HELMET right out of your head!

to be fair: You got it right in your post, but the title has it wrong, so I'll assume is was just a mild brain fart.

LOL dont think so couldnt spell before I got it. There its right!

smokinjay said:
LOL dont think so couldnt spell before I got it.
haha--> funny stuff.

Anyone know if the inside strap set for Stihl helmets can be replaced? The adjustment strap on mine snapped near the knob in the back. Electrical tape holding it together now. I really would like it working. Some cold days, I wear a knitted hat, some days none and it is loose fitting.

fishingpol said:
Anyone know if the inside strap set for Stihl helmets can be replaced? The adjustment strap on mine snapped near the knob in the back. Electrical tape holding it together now. I really would like it working. Some cold days, I wear a knitted hat, some days none and it is loose fitting.

I would think you can buy any part of the system....Check the dealer!

fishingpol said:
Anyone know if the inside strap set for Stihl helmets can be replaced?

Smokinjay is correct. I forget what Stihl calls it, but I replaced mine last summer. The dealer had to look it up in the catalog and order it.

TreePointer said:
fishingpol said:
Anyone know if the inside strap set for Stihl helmets can be replaced?

Smokinjay is correct. I forget what Stihl calls it, but I replaced mine last summer. The dealer had to look it up in the catalog and order it.

Worth it I am sure....Been checking out my equipment last couple days getting ready to wrap the spring cutting down. Seems the Helmet and chaps take it the hardest. Wow Thank God for both.

The gentleman that sold me my saw and helmet has an eye injury from cutting many years ago. He had safety glasses on but a chip went up and got behind the glasses from below. He wished he had goggles or the helmet with face shield. He has some permanent damage now. He did give me a sweet Stihl girls calendar when I bought the saw and equipment. It's funny how it was June on my calendar for half the year. ;-P. I told the wife not to throw it away as it cost me $350.00 to get it. Damn expensive calendar.

Just a sidenote. A neighbor was cutting down a few small maples yesterday into his driveway and edge of the street. No safety glasses, hearing protection or gloves. He was not too bright as the trees he was cutting were only 6 - 8 inches in diameter. I timed each cut through the tree as he was bucking it up and it was 20 - 30 seconds per cut through! He had a Stihl saw but it was one dull chain. Lots of smoke, he even got it stuck while felling one and his buddy had to take over. I was waiting for him to hit the tip on the asphalt, but it did not happen. Makes you shake you head sometimes.

fishingpol said:
The gentleman that sold me my saw and helmet has an eye injury from cutting many years ago. He had safety glasses on but a chip went up and got behind the glasses from below. He wished he had goggles or the helmet with face shield.

I've settled on wearing both clear safety glasses and the forestry helmet with metal mesh shield at the same time. Safety glasses protect my eyes and the mesh protects the rest of my face and the few stray chips that might get under the glasses. I selected mesh over the solid plastic shield because it won't fog.

Today I wore the helmet and chaps that my wonderful wife bought me. I cut with somebody new and they did not know what the chaps were for. Even for light trimming, I'll usually wear the chaps and heavy boots.

MarkinNC said:
Today I wore the helmet and chaps that my wonderful wife bought me. I cut with somebody new and they did not know what the chaps were for. Even for light trimming, I'll usually wear the chaps and heavy boots.

Very wise wife you have! :)

MarkinNC said:
I only wear the ones I bought for myself for hard work like that. The one's my wife bought for me aren't quite appropriate for hanging with men who use chainsaws.
village-people-biker-w-top-hat-chaps~8863186.jpg

Anyone wear the mesh goggles?

smokinjay said:
Anyone wear the mesh goggles?
I have to admit that my eye protection sucks. I wear my prescription glasses. no side shields or anything. I've been looking seriously at getting some rated prescription safety glasses, but I never get around to it. (hanging my head in shame)

Danno, I almost pissed my pants. There is your new avatar. Wife loved the pic. I really hope I don't see you in the woods. Didn't take long to get off the original post.

fishingpol said:
Danno, I almost pissed my pants. There is your new avatar. Wife loved the pic. I really hope I don't see you in the woods. Didn't take long to get off the original post.
I'd use it for my avatar, except I don't think Jay would appreciate me stealing his pic like that.

Danno77 said:
fishingpol said:
I'd use it for my avatar, except I don't think Jay would appreciate me stealing his pic like that.

Any man who can pull off a pink shirt and still here can steel my pic, if thats what you want!

smokinjay said:
Any man who can pull off a pink shirt and still here can steel my pic, if thats what you want!
I never should have posted that. I'll never live down that stinking shirt!

Back on topic, what are other people doing for eyewear. Jay, what mesh goggles are you talking about. Does Stihl make some?

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
I never should have posted that. I'll never live down that stinking shirt!

Back on topic, what are other people doing for eyewear. Jay, what mesh goggles are you talking about. Does Stihl make some?

Stihl don't make them not sure who does. They look pretty nice no way of fogging, but I wear the stihl safety sunglasses and drop the mesh screen when needed.

They are on paintball and airsoft websites. There are different number of tiny holes per inch. No fogging. They test them by shooting paintballs within feet of them, hopefully not while someone is wearing them.

fishingpol said:
They are on paintball and airsoft websites. There are different number of tiny holes per inch. No fogging. They test them by shooting paintballs within feet of them, hopefully not while someone is wearing them.

They make them just for chainsaw use probably the same thing though....Also fine and corse mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.