help all you pe owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elfsmachone

Feb 23, 2010
upstate ny
i just got the summit and it is freaking awesome. the glass seams to get very dirty? was told that these stoves had a great window wash system. also is there a way to have a small fire in this stove? like for the days that arent cold enough to get the thing cooking to 550. best thing about the stove is the hot coal bed after 13 hrs oh yeah.

Congratulations. If the glass is getting dirty, the draft may be weak, fire choked down too much and too early or the wood is not fully seasoned. Get it hotter and it should clean up itself. Where are you reading temperatures and how?

The stove will run ok with a half-load of wood (3 splits minimum). Give it a little more air and don't let the fire smolder. Let it burn until the fuel is consumed without refilling. The stove has enough mass to continue radiating warmth for a while.

If the wood is too close/touching the glass you will have dirty glass

Also, how are you loading the stove North/South or E/W? For a smaller fire I find N/S is definitely better.

They do indeed have a great Air wash system. Wood is not seasoned or the air is turned down too low, too fast or you have poor draft. However if you do have it cooking up tp 550 then i suspect draft is not the issue, more than likly green wood. Build up on the window may indicate build up on the chimney so figure out the problem. I rarely clean the window, maybe once every couple weeks and then it is just because I am slightly anal about that kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.