Help!!! Harman XXV SQUEALING!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crisratzlaff

Feb 8, 2011
central ks
Hi,
I'm a new member and am having terrible problems!! Just bought a new Harman xxv - I tried some of the dealers pellets and they worked fine. Then I went back to the ones I had been using in my PC45. Two bags later I got this terrible squeak when the auger turns (kept me up about all night!!). Next day I sent my wife to town to get another brand of pellets to see if that would help. Sure enough... took care of the problem!! I ran about 10 bags of the new pellets thru and then decided to see about my old ones again... yep you guessed it!!! Started squeakin after about 2 bags of the old ones. Then I tried some Heartland pellets... they are a pine pellet. Around 2 bags of them and I get the squeak back!!! I've taken the auger clear out and cleaned as much as I know, but still have squeal. I guess I feel I paid a high enough price for the stove that it shouldn't do this to me!! Just wondering if anyone knows what pellets work or don't work... what about pine versus hardwood?? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks!!

We had a problem this year with NEWP pellets. The stove would squeal something fierce every couple of days. Dealer gave us a few bags of the newer NEWP pellets to test, no problem. No problem burning our leftover 2009 NEWP pellets either, just the early batch of 2010 pellets. Yesterday, the dealer delivered 2 tons of the new pellets & took away the old ones. One thing the dealer found with our stove (XXV) was that carbon had built up at the BACK of the auger tube where we couldn't get to it to scrape. To burn this off, run the stove at a higher temp - try about 90 degrees for 20 minutes - and see if that burns off the carbon causing the problem. One day I just set the temp up higher than usual (like 5 degrees above normal) & let the stove burn that way all day while we were gone, came home & no squeal. We tried some Maine Choice pellets & those worked fine too. So, seeing as you have pellets that work fine & ones that don't, try a "high burn" to clear up the existing carbon (anything left after a thorough scraping - you can turn the auger tube by using the test mode on/off to make sure you can clean the end of the auger tube 360 degrees - just put it on test, watch auger position, then put it back to normal - scrape, turn, scrape, etc.). To find a pellet that works for you, try a few bags at a time, then when you find one you like you can buy by the ton.

Thanks for the info... its just kind of annoying that it looks like the xxv might turn out to be a picky stove when it comes to pellets...

Just wondering if anyone knows something about Rocky Mountain Pellets??? Good or bad??

Is the sound a squeal like scraping metal or a high pitch whistle?

My XXV is not picky with pellets and/or corn mix, but the lower the quality of pellets, the
more frequently the stove needs to be cleaned.

My stove does not squeal or whistle very often, but when it does it is because I have
been burning crappy pellets loaded with fines.

If you have not done so already, my suggestion is to run the stove out of pellets.
Vacuum out the hopper and clean out the fines box.
Then scrape out any carbon that has built up around the auger at bottom of burnpot.

hope this helps

Hi, I have a XXV as well, and have used it burning 5+ tons a year for a while now. My XXV will squeal from time to time as well, the squealing comes from the auger. The easy cure that has always worked for me is powdered graphite. Just give a few fluffs of the graphite in the bottom of the hopper when it is empty and also the bottom of the burn pot where the auger is. Usually have to only do this once a season, but it quiets the stove down considerably!!
Good Luck

ACS spray does wonders to eliminate squels that come from small carbon buildup. spray once a day, just a fine mist, into the hopper when adding a fresh bag.

Hey... thanks for all the help!!! I've been trying to clean out the fines in the hopper every so often and I think that is helping. I also was wondering about graphite powder... where can I find that??? Also what is the ACS stuff?? Thanks again for the help!!

CR

Not sure if this would help but thought I would mention it.
We have had sqealing issues also. Checked for carbon buildup on the
auger but looked good. Narrowed it down to a small "Fines catcher".
On the P61 it is located under the right-hand rear cover.
The "catcher" has a cover which is held on by a wingnut. Be sure fire is out before
removing cover. Careful with the gasket on the cover. Once removed, vacuum the fines. As I remember there are
what looks like bushings which support the auger under this cover. I sprayed WD40 in this area.
It took care of the squeal in our stove. This may be the case with yours.
I need to find a dry type lubricant which would be better around the fines.

PM sent also

Good Luck!

crisratzlaff said:
Hey... thanks for all the help!!! I've been trying to clean out the fines in the hopper every so often and I think that is helping. I also was wondering about graphite powder... where can I find that??? Also what is the ACS stuff?? Thanks again for the help!!

CR

ACS is an anti-creosote spray. Woodburners spray it into the fire box to break down hard cresote in the chimney system (like a chimney sweeping log). It works great on the hard carbon buildup you get at the end of Harman auguer tubes. Just mist a few sprays into the hopper when you are down to the last 10 lbs of pellets before you throw another bag in. It makes that hard carbon buildup become ash like and fluffy, and the natural action of the auger and fuel moving thru the tube and burnpot pushes the carbon away. It has done wonders for my customers who have this issue.
graphite powder can be found at just about any hardware store... look in the lubricat section.. or by the locks and keys (it is most commonly used as a lock lube)
http://acshomeandhearth.com/

Yeh.... I've checked the area that was mentioned (for fines) and I think I'll need to keep an eye on that.... Thanks for sharing the info and also a thanks for the info on the lubricant... I'll definitly check into that also!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.