Help identifying old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snotrocket

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2011
Maine
www.casecoltingersoll.com
A friend of mine recently acquired this old stove. It's in extremely solid shape. A set of gaskets on the door and the top section and it will be good to go.

Anyone know who made this? Did it originally have firebrick inside? It reminds me of an older Jotul model. The front of the door says "RAM" on it.

2012-09-23_15-51-08_432.jpg

Looks like a home brew steel copy of a Jotul 118. The RAM label may refer to it's maker or construction. It's definitely "solid state". ==c

Yup, I agree, looks like a one-off home built. Little angle-iron legs are part of the give-away for me, as is the overall lack of ornamentation. Welds and materials look pretty good. Completely illegal to install in a lot of places in the country, and since it's pretty obviously unlisted, the only reference for safe installation (CTC's) is gonna be NFPA 211...36" all around, plus mega-hearth. Probably puts out some heat & eats the wood doin' it. Rick

Reactions: cjantczak
It's going in the basement and will be surrounded by concrete so the clearances would be good.

It never occurred to me that this would be home made.

The top of it comes off and has a nice seam and gasket installed to keep it air tight.

Well, when we say "home made", we just mean it doesn't look like a stove factory production model...whoever built it obviously knew his way around metalworking and welding, and this may well not have been his first or only. Rick

You're right it is made very well. It reminds me a lot of my All Nighter in the level of craftsmanship. At first glance I thought it was an older Jotul until I saw the door.

There was one at an auction in Franklin PA June 2012;
In the middle of Page 4 "Nettles Auction".
RAM wood stove with water jacket.

http://www.theareashopper.com/posted/OHIO1.pdf

The website Searchtempest searches all of Craigslist, if you keep searching country wide you'll find one if it comes up.

Reactions: hilbiliarkiboi
Status
Not open for further replies.