Help identifying tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello There,
My wife and I are looking to plant a tree in a small sitting garden, and there's one we've seen around but aren't sure what it is. It is fairly short, around 5-6', has a trunk that doesn't taper, and weeping--but sparse. Almost looks like carrot top's ropy hair, but brown.

Any guesses?

S

Could be a weeping cherry. They are often grafted to another tree, hence the trunk doesn't taper.

Check local listings if that is comman in your area.

Not a weeping cherry, saw them today. It's got a straight, uniform trunk and ropy, dredlock-like, weeping branches.

Could that be a weeping redbud?

There are lots and lots of varieties of weeping ornamental trees out there. Try doing a Google image search of "weeping tree" and see if you can spot one.

lukem said:
There are lots and lots of varieties of weeping ornamental trees out there. Try doing a Google image search of "weeping tree" and see if you can spot one.

Ya, I did that and there are several varieties of weeping cherry, amongst others. Is the bark cherry-like?

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 2011-05-31_16-32-46_8.jpg
    2011-05-31_16-32-46_8.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 162
That's it, but damn- needs lots of water and seeks out water pipes. Like other willows, probably not great by the septic.

Status
Not open for further replies.