Help me become worst pellet user!!! Pics & Vids

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreBug

Minister of Fire
Oct 6, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Thought that would get your attention!

Backgrounder: as many of you know I work for SBI and we make all sorts of biomass burning appliances. We’ve made pellet appliances for over 5 years. Our initial attempts were, shall we say mixed. Although our initial product was not horrible it was also not world class. So we went back to the drawing board and came out with a pellet furnace (Alterna), bottom feeds, touchscreen input etc... and built it like a tank to make sure users would have low maintenance and service calls. We did the same with Enerzone Euromax (70K BTU) and Drolet ECO-65 (65K BTU).

While this worked fine and despite our best efforts, there was still the few ‘first year kinks’ to work out. This is not acceptable. These units are now rock solid but we want to avoid first year issues.

SO... our engineers begged we do a pre-production run for one year and give units to dealers to install in ‘real world’ home heating situations. This year we will not sell these units but merely field test them.

My Background: Not a huge pellet fan. The reason for this is I take service calls and do tech support and I know that many times a pellet stove is sold to the wrong person. i.e. someone who had no idea what they were getting into, no commitment to cleaning and maintenance, installed themselves with improper venting etc. The list goes on.

My ideal pellet stove is one that is forgiving on the type of fuel used, easy to clean & maintain (no bleeding knuckles syndrome), huge ashpan, quiet, basically a unit I would not be afraid to give to my worst customer.

Based on this fact they said I had to try one. I should receive the unit in a couple of weeks. I’ll post all the specs and pics then. But just so you know it’s a 50K BTU bottom feed unit. I have no intention to keep it but will return it in the spring.

Where you come in: I want to be the worst pellet customer! You tell me what I need to do to reach this lofty status. Suggest anything fuel, maintenance schedule etc. - within reason since I don’t want to kill my family. I will NOT use improper venting for the reason above (safety first).

Will be posting my install pics shortly...

My set up: Since this is not a permanent install I will need your help to install this puppy. I don’t want to punch holes in the house. Will be installing next to the furnace and dump warm air by removing a blower panel to circulate the heat in the house.

Could you help me figure out the 4†venting since I intend to put it through the basement window? What is the best way to go about this?

Attachments

• #1.png
    #1.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 601
  • #2.png
    #2.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 597
Fuel: Inferno's or Nations choice

maintenance: Don't open the door until you burn a full ton.

You should be able to remove the window and box it in with 2x4's. I'd use durrock/wonder board. at least on the outside anyway. Insulate and install thimble.

Or you could just send a unit to me and I'll thrash the crap out of it. :cheese: I have a spare flue even, just need to move the old quad and woodstove aside!

Forget Jay,

Send one this way and I'll do a Pook on it in addition to feeding it an unending diet of infernos and other construction debris.

If you exit that window and plan on just going horizontal you need to clear the area around the vent, dig down a bit and make certain that white stuff and other things don't pile up around it too much.

If you are going up I think you have to really watch your length of venting because you'll have a lot of EVL tied up in 90 degree bends and even 4" has limits.

How about Appling County Pellets or Michigan Wood Pellet for some cruddy pellets...

Be sloppy when you fill the hopper to insure fines slightly compromise the seal. Leave a few bags out in the rain so the ends swell up.

Surge suppressor, throw it in the garbage.

Make sure your stove is not level.

She how she runs with corn and pits.

Make sure your EVL is over 15 and use 3" pipe.

Run your stove on auto to make sure the igniter has to cycle at least 8x per day.

Adjust all the knobs, buttons or switches daily to insure nothing stays consistent and predictable.

I hear sea salt has tons of BTU's, sprinkle a little in your hopper daily for improved flavor.

Use pure amonia to clean the glass...squeaky clean.

I'd gladly add my name for "field testing" if you wish.

As for "lazy-man" pellet burning, aside from avoiding the obvious stuff that could kill your family, burn low-grade (non-premium) pellets, such as Inferno's as others have recommended. Empty the pellet bags directly into the hopper, don't take any measures that would reduce the amount of fines that go directly into the hopper. Throw in some corn, grain/grass pellets, and other bio-mass fuels, then don't clean it for at least a week to ten days of burning. Let ash accumulate in the ash pan for at least a week before emptying it. Spray bleach and other corrosive cleaning chemicals on the glass to clean it. Don't ever lube any parts.

During the off-season, don't coat the unit with ANY oils or Pam spray, you need to test its corrosion resistance. No brushes in the fire box, simply vacuum the ash, leave some ash in there over the Summer months. Leave pellets in the hopper all year round. Procrastinate on cleaning the PL vent as long as possible without risking fire in the vent from soot/ash build-up. Don't plug or seal any vents to/from the stove, allow moist air to have at it.

My Fahrenheit (see my signature for link) unit can easily go a week between cleanings burning 24/7, but personally I am picky and clean it thoroughly after every fire. You'll have to resist being diligent/picky as much as possible, live the life of the lazy, eat more twinkies and increase your lazy boy/couch time by at least 75% every day.

ChrisWNY said:
You'll have to resist being diligent/picky as much as possible, live the life of the lazy, eat more twinkies and remain seated on your couch or lazy boy recliner at lease 75% more each day.

I like the way this man thinks!

feed it a steady diet of infernos and consider having CARL (remember him) do the install.

Not sure we have infernos where I live. But I know of a pretty bad mill not too far that I discourage all my customers to buy their pellets from. We also buy container full Industrial pellets (ie bark) which we tests our units with. I'll get some from the office.

Lose your wrist watch in the hopper. :coolsmirk:

FyreBug said:
Not sure we have infernos where I live. But I know of a pretty bad mill not too far that I discourage all my customers to buy their pellets from. We also buy container full Industrial pellets (ie bark) which we tests our units with. I'll get some from the office.

Do you know what the ash percentage is on them?

We have a member that ran 50 some odd bags threw his with no cleaning, touching or even opening the door on it. He ran it on stat mode and was going to see how long it would go before it would not relight. He gave up before the stove did. Check link. I'd like to see you try and at least match that!

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62598/

Be certain to have some cycling motors on the same circuit the stove is plugged into and it also helps to have it plugged into a GFI.

For additional points make certain the outlet is mis-wired.

If those motors are hooked to air moving devices that will exhaust air and you don't use an OAK your points are tripled and your smoking pleasure increased (not sure about your life expectancy but suspect it might be decreased).

Be certain that hornets build their nests in the venting over the summer (this always puts on a show when first fall lighting takes place), member hearthtools has pictures posted of winter acorn supplies in the ash traps.

Burn a ton of Field corn right out of the harvester at 16% moisture , uncleaned with all the stalk , cocklebur,
bees wings (aka pissing little red things) and fines. Don't add any thing to help stop the clinkers (pellets or oyster shell)
and don't clean the stove and chimney weekly. Should make for one heck of a dirty stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.