Help me find the right stove - Narrow Space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShockValue

Oct 23, 2018
Port Townsend
Hi -

We have roughly a 2000 square foot single level home. However, we're really only interested in heating the "public" spaces, which are roughly 1100 square feet and in a relatively open floor plan all adjacent to one another.

We're trying to fit a stove in between cabinets/shelves. The skinnier we can get the stove, the more shelving/cabinets we can squeeze in. Depth is less of an issue.

Can you guys suggest a North/South skinny stove with relatively small side clearances that can heat up to 1100 square feet?

I was looking at Drolet stoves due to good pricing, but it seems most of their boxes get shallower/deeper with size without the width changing much. I can't afford a high-end-cast-iron with a bunch of bells and whistles, but do wish for a real heating appliance.

Looks are a factor, but it doesn't have to be too fancy. Glass door a must, prefer feet over pedestal, but not a deal breaker.

Happy to answer any questions on stuff that I forgot to add.

This is a _VERY_ rough drawing of the space. Fireplace location in red. Interested in heating Living, Dining, Kitchen, Office.

Y2JyB0u.png

What we need to know is what will be on that wall? Cabinets surrounding the stove evoke some red flags. Will this only be on the sides or are you thinking above the stove too? The latter idea would greatly restrict choices and may eliminate a wood burner.

Nothing above it. Behind it will be a non-structural wall with 'wood stove appropriate" backing.. Stone/tile/etc.

Very crude 3d render for basic idea -

FObrfLH.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The Quadrafire Explorer II has pretty close side clearances.

You could check out something like our Morso 2b Classic. It's only rated to 1,200 sqft. We use ours to heat our whole 1,200 sqft salt box. Jotul makes two long narrow stoves as well.

I think our morso has 26" side clearances, but you could reduce that with the proper shielding on the cabinets.

Attachments

• 20181213_145822.jpg
    20181213_145822.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 114
See if you can find a Pacific Energy True North TN20. It has a deeper firebox and is 21 3/8" wide. With double-wall stovepipe the side clearances are 8".

It's a good value stove. With the close clearances you might want to consider adding heat shielding to the cabinet sides and maybe the rear wall too (if combustible) for extra peace of mind.

As all the space to be heated is fairly open, you might do OK putting the stove on an outside wall in the living room. You'll likely wind up using a floor fan in the bedroom hallway.

Trying to wedge it into the kitchen area is going to bring you clearance problems and force you to choose from a smaller subset of stoves, so you may end up not even looking at some of the units that would have been best for you.

In addition to honoring clearances for the stove, you also want a comfortable-sized hearth, which probably means larger than whatever code requires. My stove is in my living room too, so I want plenty of room in front so that if a flaming log somehow rolled out, it would be okay. (I've found that 3x5 is a good size, and it's conveniently also the size of one piece of cement board.)