Help me ID my pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelswork

Nov 9, 2010
central TN
I just had a friend give me his mom's pellet stove, it was custom made by his brother in the factory he worked in. My friend couldn't remember the name of the company and there are no ID tags on this thing at all. I did get 2 extra blowers, 2 extra electronic controls and some other factory new parts with it (auger motor and auger I think). This thing is heavy!

I had to replace our wood burner with something due to the respitory issues with the children we are adopting and I thought it would be nice to get through the night without having to put more wood in the fireplace. I also thought it might be nice for my wife to not have to get use to 2 little ones running around and having to get wood up to the house/inside the house/ inside the fireplace, while I'm gone (I travel for work and am often gone for 1-2 weeks per month).

Also, any tips would help. We were given 15 bags of pellets with it (2 had moisture intrusion and are now bags of wood mass), they seem good and the previous owner was using it thoughout the winter to heat his shop. Internals are great looking, need to paint the exterior.

Attachments

• pellet stove pics.jpg
    pellet stove pics.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 532
I'm assuming it has a control panel? If so, a clear pic of that might help too.

I'll see what I can do for the control panel pic....dark out and I wrestled this beast 15 feet out of my van and up the porch...winded, even my phone is tired :)

The stove is an Englander Stove Works unit...a 25-PDVC. If you open the hopper, there should be a label on the lid telling the serial #, etc. Call Englander and the Tech dept. can tell you when it was made, etc.

1-800-245-6489

www.englanderstoves.com/25-pdvc.html

EDIT: If you do decide to install the unit in your home, Englander requires an outside air kit (OAK) to be installed with the unit also.

Looked in the hopper (and it is rust free) with no sign of ever having a label. Thanks, I'll give them a call in the morning!

Well......there is no spot on the stove to install an Ouside Air Kit? Just the forced exhaust exit on the back? Any other options or could this be part of the "custom" build? What is the purpose of the outside air kit other than to pull fresh air through the stove?

The stove is an Englander unit for sure, but i may be off on the Model #.

joelswork said:
Well......there is no spot on the stove to install an Ouside Air Kit? Just the forced exhaust exit on the back? Any other options or could this be part of the "custom" build? What is the purpose of the outside air kit other than to pull fresh air through the stove?

As I mentioned in the above post, that control panel is for an Englander stove, but after looking back at your pic, now I'm not sure about the Model #.

There is not a small (2" - 2 1/2" dia.) round tube sticking out on the back besides the 3" exhaust? As you said, it just to provide fresh OUTSIDE air to the stove for combustion. Englander requires this on their stove installs.

If you DO call Englander tomorrow, try Ext. 131. That is to Mike Holton, who is the Senior Tech at Englander. He is also a forum member here on Hearth.com ( forum name "stoveguy2esw"). He is a great guy to work with, as are all the techs there. Englander has the best customer service in the stove business today.

If you do get him on the phone, tell him imacman from the forum says Hi!

that is a englander but on the old stoves like mine it is on the lower left side on the pedistale under the blower motor

Will do! And no, there is only one exhaust port and that's it! I understand that the outside air kit was designed for "today's airtight homes"....not an issues with the 1930's farm house we have!

ok, pulled the beast out from the wall and got down to look under the pedistale. Yep, there is a 1 7/8" tube coming down from the middle of the unit, inside the pedistal! What part of michigan ya from? We moved down from Ionia a few years ago...classified as michigan refugees :)

it definitely looks like an Englander 25-PDVC

joelswork said:
Will do! And no, there is only one exhaust port and that's it! I understand that the outside air kit was designed for "today's airtight homes"....not an issues with the 1930's farm house we have!

Sorry to disagree with you but if the manual says it is mandatory then you have to have one, otherwise you are:

1. Likely violating code.
2. Voiding all safety listings.

If the above two things aren't enough to make you use one:

3. Giving your insurance company grounds for denying any claims and canceling your homeowners, if they cancel then a letter will go to the holder of your mortgage and it is likely that you have then violated the terms of your mortgage and the mortgage holder can start the foreclosure process.

On a windy day...I can fly a kite in here! :bug:

As for code, insurance and mortgage.....they don't mess with people in the hollars down here ;-)

Just kiddin, I'm cleaning it out and hooking it up Friday. My buddy kept it running in his shop for the past couple years, so it is still pretty good inside. Sanded and painted the outside today and I have the a new trim kit that came with it so the Lovely Mrs. will enjoy it even more! I just need to figure out how I'm gonna vent it. I have an old existing brick chimeny with a fireplace that was cemented in years ago (who knows why?), same location as the new pellet stove but I also have a 6" steel double wall chimeny system going up to my roof from the same location. So, I can tie into the steel system... go through the cement and vent staight out the brick chimeny..... or, maybe use the old flue in the brick chimeny?

lower michigan down by the boarder of ohio and indiana and with the nice ecomeny i think i could use to be in a different state

Status
Not open for further replies.