Help me ID this one, please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
Okay, I have my thoughts, but I want some second and third opinions. This is a slender, tall tree near a wet weather creek bed at the bottome of a hollow. We're at about 1,800 ft elevation on th Cumberland Plateau in Middle TN about 20 miles outside Fall Creek Falls State Park. Leaves are compound with 7 leaflets, almost silver on the bottom.

It has NO limbs until the top, and forks at the middle:
ID_distant_2.jpg

Leaves 1:
ID_leaves_1.jpg

Leaves 2:
ID_leaves_2.jpg

Leaves 3:
ID_leaves_3.jpg

Bark near the base:
ID_bark_low.jpg

Bark about midway up:
ID_bark_high.jpg

Looks like ash to me

I think it is an Ash, but can't tell what kind for certain. I don't see why it isn't a White Ash. It is obviuosly a tree with compound leaves from your description and from the picture. It appears to have the leaves arranged opposite - for sure a lot of the small branches are opposite each other, which is typical for Ash. It looks to me like the leaflets have stalks, which would usually rule out Black Ash which usually has leaflets with short or no stalks. Aside from that, I have to guess and I guess White Ash. A lot of White Ash around here look like the tree in the picture.

Yeah ibwas never good at distinguishing between white, black and green ash. But that tree looks very ashish

I was thinking white ash as well, but I wanted some better educated guesses than just mine! :p

Walnut

Grab it. From the look of the leaves, the tree has a very low moisture content. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.