Help me identify a Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
A couple that we've become friends with in the neighborhood has a Jotul in their basement. The folks who had the house before them were in the process of finishing the basement into a family room area but had to sell before they finished it. They mentioned to me that they had the stove but didn't know how to use it, etc...so they let it sit. We went over there today and I took a look at it. The clearances all looked good (the rear wall is cultured stone on a concrete block wall-side clearances are 24"+, and the floor is concrete) and the stove pipe was in good condition. The stove pipe comes up straight out of the stove and takes a 90 degree turn into the wall. The chimney is masonry with a clay liner. I took the 90 off so that we could see into the chimney and it looks as though squirrels may have taken up residence inside the chimney at one time because there are sticks and leaves inside the flue. There is a cap on top of the chimney but it doesn't look like it's completely intact. I offered to clean it out once the snow melts off of the roof so that we can inspect the condition of the liner. As for the stove itself I'm in unfamilar territory-the nice enamel finished piece of art sitting in their basement is a far cry from my plate steel beast of a furnace. The stove looks kind of like this one:

http://www.jotul.com/en-US/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-stoves/Jotul-F-3-CB/

The main difference is that it has a control on the top left that actuates a door inside the stove that seems to function as a damper as it opens or closes the flue. I could take a picture of it if that helps, but I figured that there would be enough Jotul experts on here that would know what I was talking about. Any ideas?

These are all probably versions of the Jotul 3 series....some had a air control lever as you describe over the door.
These were called by various names...

Jotul 3
Jotul 3CB
and the current F 3CB

Oh, if it has a control as you mention, it might be a catalytic model.
They were sort of a dog...the cat was way back in the flue collar. This should be easy for you to see...if you look closer. The lever, in that case, is a cat bypass.
See this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Jotul_Stoves_-_Identify_Older_Models

Might be an F3 TDIC if it has a catalyst bypass control. There should be a tag on the back of the stove that identifies the model.

Webmaster said:
These are all probably versions of the Jotul 3 series....some had a air control lever as you describe over the door.
These were called by various names...

Jotul 3
Jotul 3CB
and the current F 3CB

Oh, if it has a control as you mention, it might be a catalytic model.
They were sort of a dog...the cat was way back in the flue collar. This should be easy for you to see...if you look closer. The lever, in that case, is a cat bypass.
See this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Jotul_Stoves_-_Identify_Older_Models

Craig-thanks for the link. I think it might be the third one from the right on the bottom "Series 8 with draft slider internal catalyst left front bypass." I'll check the website for manuals. When you say it was a "dog" what do you mean? Didn't put out a lot of heat? Hard to use? I want to get this guy started burning but I don't want to steer him wrong. I should also point out that I know zero about catalytic stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.