Help me with P200i Breckwell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyman

Mar 2, 2008
Eastern CT
Guys, need you advice about the following.
After today's cleaning (I do it once a week) I've started my P200i Breckwell normally as always. Then after 20-30 minutes passing the room I noticed that there is some light smell around, but didn't bother myself thinking it could be my flu hallucinations. And didn't checked whether or not convection blower started. Then after another 30-40 minutes stove went into "OFF" mode, now I discovered that convection blower doesn't works, but combustion one works normally.
Assuming I did not made a good ash cleaning of around and over cover plates (3 of them) did it again, restarted the stove, got the same trouble, then opened cover plates and cleaned up everything behind. Then started stove again and ... nothing helps.
Now I think the smell mentioned above has it meaning. Time to check electrical parts. Thinking that something prevents convection blower from starting ("ON/OFF" lead stops blinking and becomes steady) first thing coming into the head is to check fuses if any and termodisk.
My question is: am I wrong in logic above? If not what is a short way to reach parts mentioned for testing.
Thanks in advance.
PS. Forgot some input data. Bought P200i Breckwell stove in 2006, so this is my almost end of second heating season. Last summer full maintenance has been performed by professionals. I'm using Premium Hardwood pellets only.

Handy said:
Guys, need you advice about the following.
After today's cleaning (I do it once a week) I've started my P200i Breckwell normally as always. Then after 20-30 minutes passing the room I noticed that there is some light smell around, but didn't bother myself thinking it could be my flu hallucinations. And didn't checked whether or not convection blower started. Then after another 30-40 minutes stove went into "OFF" mode, now I discovered that convection blower doesn't works, but combustion one works normally.
Assuming I did not made a good ash cleaning of around and over cover plates (3 of them) did it again, restarted the stove, got the same trouble, then opened cover plates and cleaned up everything behind. Then started stove again and ... nothing helps.
Now I think the smell mentioned above has it meaning. Time to check electrical parts. Thinking that something prevents convection blower from starting ("ON/OFF" lead stops blinking and becomes steady) first thing coming into the head is to check fuses if any and termodisk.
My question is: am I wrong in logic above? If not what is a short way to reach parts mentioned for testing.
Thanks in advance.
PS. Forgot some input data. Bought P200i Breckwell stove in 2006, so this is my almost end of second heating season. Last summer full maintenance has been performed by professionals. I'm using Premium Hardwood pellets only.

Only way of checking is open the stove up and check if power is going to the blower
If you have power to the blower and it dont work then the blower is bad
pull the blower out of the stove
test it with direct power.

Thanks Rod for your help. I did that, the convection blower is working well being connected directly to wall outlet. Next, how can I check whether it starts to get power as soon as stove becomes hot enough. Actually the best way if you can supply me with a real electrical schema, because those with manual looks funny.
I understand that there are at least two places I need to test: thermodisk and control panel. But I don't know how. When"ON/OFF" lead stops blinking and becomes steady does that means that thermodisk works properly, if so then looks like control panel doesn't sends power to convection blower? Control panel itself looks working as usually.
Anyway any suggestions are very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS. Forgot to mention. I did tried to check whether convection blower is getting power while stove is running, but starting displaced stove makes a lot of dust all around during first 5-10 seconds, so I'm just turned it off.

Handy said:
PS. Forgot to mention. I did tried to check whether convection blower is getting power while stove is running, but starting displaced stove makes a lot of dust all around during first 5-10 seconds, so I'm just turned it off.

I dont know a lot about the NEW breckwell stoves
but looking at the wire diagram it looks like you need to see if the PROOF OF FIRE switch with the Brown wires(S) is getting power.
Just one of them will be hot for It is a loop. when the switch closes it sends power power back to the control board and back to I guess the blower.

If one of the brown wires is hot the control board is OK as long as the switch is closing at 120 deg.
you can take the switch off and heat it up with a lighter and see if it snaps shut.

You can take the two brown wires off the switch and put them together and see of the blower keeps running
after the stove gets hot. because if the motor is getting hot it will stop working also.

I dont think it would be the one with the Red wire because that would kill the auger feed.

I've got your idea, appreciate that Rod. I would be very happy if it just because of PROOF OF FIRE switch malfunction.
I will keep you informed as soon as will find out concrete cause of a problem. Thanks again.

Still unclear what's not working. I did dissembled two brown wires from PROOF OF FIRE switch, they are getting small woltage when stove is running. Then tried to connect them short immitating normal switch job, but it doesn't triggers convection blower to start. Is there are another switches that could inerrupt the circuit? Thanks.

Handy said:
Still unclear what's not working. I did dissembled two brown wires from PROOF OF FIRE switch, they are getting small woltage when stove is running. Then tried to connect them short immitating normal switch job, but it doesn't triggers convection blower to start. Is there are another switches that could inerrupt the circuit? Thanks.
Have not worked on a new breckwell my self so I cant tell without being there with a meter

email breckwell

Happy end came finally! I finished up with convection blower connected directly to the wall outlet through dimmer to control its speed. The lamp has been connected to control panel instead of convection blower to make a circuit closed, it starts lighting as soon as PROOF OF FIRE switch sends its message to control panel. Everything works perfectly. Then I've restored default (original) circuit and my stove is working as before now. So I've learned from this case that connection was lost somewhere for some reason. And first thing I had to start with was just to retry all connectors.
Thanks a lot Rod for your help and patience. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.