Help, my new convection motor keeps shutting off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallygatar

Mar 26, 2009
Pacific NW
Hello, I recently had to replace both my convection and conbustion motors on my Whitfield Advantage II-T pellet stove. I put it all back together but now when I start up the stove both fans will run and then the convection motor turns off after about a minute. I checked the motor by plugging it into the combustion side and it runs and runs so I know that the motor is not the problem. What could be shutting the convection motor down within a minute of starting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I am not familar with your stove but the convection blower has an over-heat protector (high limit disc) built into it. If the temperature of the blower motor exceeds the high limit temperature, then the motor shuts down. Make sure that the convection blower is adjusted to a setting at least as high
as or higher than the fuel feed setting. If the blower motor continues to shut down, clean blower intake.

It's possible the problem is in the control board - because if the fan works fine plugged into direct power, there is no other controlling factor than the CB. Is it a older unit with the dial controls or the newer touch pad style control board?

Doesn't the stove need to come up to temp before the convection fan comes on? Not sure on your stove, but most work that way in my experience.

Hi GTH, Whitfield stoves work a little different, the convection fan comes on right away - just the way they work.

The circuit board is the older style, it has a a push button to start it, a slide switch to turn on the auger and a rotary switch to adjust the fan speed.

Hi Wally,
That is a common problem on the older controls, usually the fan will sound like it bad because it rumbles , like the bearings are out of the motor, or it will speed up and slow down by itself. Sounds to me as it's time to upgrade to the newer control board, in my experience. I have the CB in stock - it may require a little re-wiring for compatibility, which is standard for this upgrade because those original boards are obsolete. What's the serial number of your stove?

Thanks for the update Wally,
With that sn listed, the switch should not require anything - just unplug and replace. Should you decide to replace that or want more information, please email me; [email protected] . I'll be glad to help however I can.

Thanks Doc! Learn something new every day on this site!

Status
Not open for further replies.