Help: my pellet stove just burned back the auger.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TishDyer

Feb 3, 2020
Cape Vincent, NY
We bought an Englander, model 25-PDVE/55-SHP22E Mfg date of 02/05, from a friend. This is our 2nd year burning this stove. This week it burned back the auger shaft and burnt the gasket between the auger and the auger bearing. I have a new gasket on the way. I have noticed that when burning the pellets are not burning completely and it piles up on the burn pot. I clean my stove every 2 to 3 days. I just did a deep clean. I clean out my exhaust pipe about once a month. I am not sure what settings I should have the heat range and blower speed at. Our home is about 2000 square feet. Can anyone help?

This is the stove and set up. It is not running right now. I have taken the augers both out to completely clean everything and I am waiting on the gasket to arrive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 245
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 279
Let me get this straight in my head, you had pellets burn all the way through the lower auger to the auger bearing? Did the upper auger catch fire also? Any fire in the hopper? Was the hopper lid closed? Is the gasket on the hopper good? . I have refurbished 11 of the pdv and pdvc and I cannot figure out how pellets got to the back of the lower auger. When the upper feeds from the front. By the looks of the lower auger it should have been replaced a couple years ago the end is gone

No fire in the upper auger or the hopper. Attached is a photo of the gasket that was between the lower auger and it’s bearing.

Attachments

• 4CFEA54D-794A-4B75-9DCB-67AD3670427F.jpeg
    4CFEA54D-794A-4B75-9DCB-67AD3670427F.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 309
Ok that i have seen before, it’s more from the heat at the opening of the auger tube and poor vacuum through the stove. Pellets are never near the back of the auger. But the hot air can get back there. After you clean and replace the bearing gaskets. Clean the blowers thoroughly and pull the impingement plate and vacuum behind it real good, leaf blower trick works the best. Check your hopper gasket ensure its good and no gaps and latches are snug. Check the door gasket dollar bill test.

Thank you so much. This makes me feel a bit better. I was so nervous that I would have a fire. I have already blew everything out and vacuumed while it is all apart.

Also, if you haven't when you cleaned everything else, clean off the screen to the room air blower. I can't see with the dust bunnies that are on it that it's moving much air.

Eric

Reactions: TishDyer