Help! Need replacement system for my Newmac oil/wood combination furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kellygreen

Dec 10, 2023
Randolph, Vermont
I am heart-broken because the heat exchanger on my Newmac wood/oil combination furnace cracked and cannot, as far as I understand, be replaced or fixed. I am completely freaked out to learn that I cannot replace my Newmac with another wood/oil furnance due to state and federal regulations, and I now need to design a whole new system.

My house is a 1,500 square foot cape circa 1952 and has air ducts and a chimney sized to accomodate my Newmac. With the Newmac I mostly burned wood to heat my house (about 3.5 cords a year) and I used very little oil as my backup (about 15 gallons a month). I live in central Vermont. I was *extremely happy* with this set-up.

Going forward, I want my primary souce of heat to be wood. As for my backup heat, I am open to all ideas. I have a nice oil tank in the basement, so oil would be fine but would also consider a heat pump *so long as* the heat pump does not require a bunch of ugly pipes on the outside of the house. I am under the impression that I can install both a wood furnace (like a Drolet or Caddy) and connect (or "marry") an oil furnance to it, but I am very confused on this point.

I would be very, very grateful for any advice you have on what I should do.

Thanks,
Kelly

1702238245954.png

I ordered a Caddy Advanced with ECM motor last week (in 2023). I paid $4,400 and will, as I understand it, get a tax credit of $1,144 (26% of the purchase price). It's supposedly being delivered in 10 days and installed by my oil company (I am hoping for the best). I have to figure out a backup heat source ASAP. I am leaning towards propane which can be directly vented outside. I cannot seem to find a competent contractor to take the lead on this project, so I'm making these decisions on my own. 😁

Unfortunately, when it comes to doing anything outside of "normal" (ie wood heat) contractors are clueless and just plain don't care to be bothered with anything new/different.
Good luck with the install...hopefully the tech that comes out at least gives a rip about his workmanship...