Help! New 511AX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen in SoKY

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Southern Kentucky
I received my new 511AX today and good Lord the directions are hard to understand. I'm trying to set it for Stihl 33RSC. Seems most people use 60/30/10, is that correct? I admit I can't determine how to set the 10 degree tilt to save my life. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: zap
Yea thats what most run. I go 60/30/0 and have some really quick chains.

Thanks J. FWIW, I searched up the owner's manual for a 511A and although they aren't the exact same, the manual was much clearer. I now have a grasp of how to change the tilt and will try a couple at 0 and a couple at 10. It seems to me that 0 would be one less thing to remember and make the job go a little faster.

I received my new 511AX today and good Lord the directions are hard to understand. I'm trying to set it for Stihl 33RSC. Seems most people use 60/30/10, is that correct? I admit I can't determine how to set the 10 degree tilt to save my life. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.
100_5010.JPG

I only use this for my milling chains, move the table to the left (Forward) for right-hand cutters, or to the right (back) for the left-hand cutters. The setting is on the right-hand side.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Yea thats what most run. I go 60/30/0 and have some really quick chains.
Is 60-30-0 faster than 60-30-10 Jay?
Nice pic Zap.
BTW, I just bought that 511A myself, & really like it. A C

Nice pic Zap.
It will save you money in the long run, nice to have that's for sure.

zap

Nice pic Zap.
I feel that it is, but if your looking for factory specks then use the 10 degrees. I try to keep the rakers close to factory as possiable. Smooth and rounded tops leaves less of a drag though the wood. If your running stones this is a must have: http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46440&catID= I am running the cyclone wheel on the 3/8 and stone on the smaller chains, because I cant afford two cyclone wheels.

I'm about 40 chains in so far and it seems to be working out well. One more question: How much degreasing/clean up are you guys doing on the chains prior to grinding?

I'm about 40 chains in so far and it seems to be working out well. One more question: How much degreasing/clean up are you guys doing on the chains prior to grinding?

Blow em off with compressed air is about it for me. The cutters should be clean from cutting. A C

When I ran a grinder we had a brass wire brush to knock off any crud on the cutters. Oil won't bother the wheel but thick gunk glued on will plug the pores on the wheel and cause it to overheat the tooth much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.