help on husky 85 cc??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onetracker

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2011
rondout valley ny
greetings

i talked to a guy last night who has a husky 85cc he wants to sell. i asked him the model number but he didn't know but he's gonna get back with me today.
i'm not familiar with the husky pro saws, but it looks like they only have 87cc, not 85. he said the saw is 4-5 years old and he used it almost exclusively for milling on his alaska mill and never pins the rev's. says its been pro tuned at the shop where he bought it and paid $950. he's asking $400.

1 which saw might he have
2 i'm figuring $400 is a real good price but wanted to run it by the pros

he's a friend of a friend who says he's gonna put it on craigslist if i don't take it.

your opinion would be helpful.

thanks

OT

Milling is the toughest job a saw can be put through. 4-5 yrs of milling would be like buying a used car with 300,000mi. Pro tuning doesn't mean a thing. Just means someone tuned it that knows what they are doing and I would hope a guy using a saw to mill with could tune his own saw. What better place to tune than in a continuous cut. Some people tune their saws every time they use them since temperature effects tune. You take a saw tuned for summertime temps it will need a different tune for fall and then different for winter. Bottom line if it was just a bucking saw not used professionally yep 400.00 might be a decent price. But under milling conditions no way. I have a 395XP that would be like buying a car with 10,000mi and I doubt I could get 400.00 for it.

onetracker said:
greetings

i talked to a guy last night who has a husky 85cc he wants to sell. i asked him the model number but he didn't know but he's gonna get back with me today.
i'm not familiar with the husky pro saws, but it looks like they only have 87cc, not 85. he said the saw is 4-5 years old and he used it almost exclusively for milling on his alaska mill and never pins the rev's. says its been pro tuned at the shop where he bought it and paid $950. he's asking $400.

1 which saw might he have
2 i'm figuring $400 is a real good price but wanted to run it by the pros

he's a friend of a friend who says he's gonna put it on craigslist if i don't take it.

your opinion would be helpful.

thanks

OT

It's worth taking a look at it.

zap

+1 on taking a look. Maybe he'd let you pull a compression test? It all depends on how much milling that saw has done in the last 4-5 years. If he only ran it through a couple trees a year then you're prolly golden.

thank you gents.
good stuff.

OT

Status
Not open for further replies.