Help on new chimney cost estimate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ccpark0

Apr 15, 2009
KY
I am sure that costs vary greatly by location but I was hoping I might be able to atleast get a ballpark idea of what this chimney might cost (class a). Here is what I have, I have an unfinished basement with a prefab class b chimney right now (8 inch). It goes up through the center of the house. I have a two story house so the new chimney would have to go through both floors and the attic. The class b will have to be removed. Can anyone provide some pricing guidance?

Also with this going through the floors are any firestops needed between the floors?

Welcome to the forum!

If you figure $100-125 a foot you probably will not be too far off. It's probably cheaper if you do the work yourself.

Here is a site selling pipe. Try pricing out what you'll need.

Matt

A few years back I bought 30" sections of Metalbestos SS 7 inch insulated pipe for $5 a section. I got enough to go through 2 ceilings and the roof plus a few pieces for my garage stove. These were actually "rejects" from a big home builder in my area (Wausau Homes) as the pipes had a few dings/dents on the outer wall. Chimney has served me well for many years. So check around your area. There may be a cheaper way to buy these pipes.

Most newer stoves use 6" pipe not 8". If you can use 6" lowes sells it for approx 65.00 for each 3' section of class A. (not sure if the price went up, that was last year)

First, 6" class A (HT) typically has a 8" OD. 8" B vent has a 8.5" OD. Your chimney pipe is going to require a 12" hole to maintain clearances.

You need firestops between floors/ attic spaces.

My guess is that you will have about $1700 worth of materials, and $500-$1000 worth of labor.

Thanks for all the input. This site is great I learning a ton. I am in the planning stages for finishing my basement and am trying to get a feel for what this stove/chimeny portion is going to cost. I am usually a DIY kind of guy but the chimney has me kind of scared, so it might be worth it to pay to have it installed.

Thanks again for the input.

was the chimney built? asking because we are selling our house with an insert and purchasing one with no fire place or wood stove/chimney. would like to put a new chimney on the outside of the 2 story house and put a free standing wood stove in the basement. i have 5 cords of wood that i wont use this winter, but am taking with me-all my work will not be left at the old house...

It was built. If I remember it was about 2500, it was quite alot of work the way it was routed. My installer charged $500labor plus materials.

My install in a 1 story ranch cost about $800 for materials, I did the work myself, it was not that hard.
Straight forward install, through the celling and through the roof.

I purchased the parts from http://www.dynamitebuys.com/, they have very good prices and free shipping( at the time anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.