Help reassembling VC Defiant Encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drivfour

Mar 22, 2011
foothills colorado
Took apart VC Defiant Encore with Cat. I have two issues -first one is the two bolts on the back side of the stove just below the top, I removed and lost the item that had the threads- Can someone tell me if the item is a nut, a plate etc. These bolts evidently hold the back to the sides.

second issue is I am not sure now how the air flapper that redirects the exhaust around the cat, is positioned on the side where the control shaft is side to side. In other words the lh (as you face stove) shaft stub is clamped by one bolt NEAR this shaft, but I am not sure relative position of the flapper "shaft" and the control rod . Can someone tell me how to position the flapper rod relative to the control rod ? I downloaded a manual off the net - maybe wrong one but the stove looks nothing like the manual.

Thanks

On all the Encores i've rebuilt the side is threaded for a 1/4-20 bolt and you place the damper frame in front and snug the bolt down. As for the second issue if i follow is your asking where the handle should be when the damper is opened or closed. With the damper closed i set the damper so that its horizontal, when you open the damperit should then be vertical.
To make sure you have the right manual check for the 4 digit model number on the ratings place on the back and compare to the manual. You should be able to find current and older model manuals on teh Vermount casting new website.

Hello DF,
I just recently took appart a VC Defiant Encore 2190 cat stove. Here's the guide I used to take appart and put back together:
http://www.increa.com/reverse/defiant-encore-stove-catalytic-replacement/index.html

It is a difficult process at best. If I were you I'd take the refractory assembly out again and attempt to thread the bolts into the damper frame. This way you can get an idea of how the bolts go back in without having to keep it from slaming into the top of the refractory and risk damaging the expensive, fragile thing. Once you figure out where the bolts go then take the damper back out and try it with the refractory box in place. I had to have help from my son in the back of the stove to keep the damper from slamming down. Another thing I had to do is put the bolt through the back first then line up the threaded whole in the damper frame. There is no nut to hold the damper, it has a threaded whole. At least in the 2190. I think the next time I take out the assembly I'll build a wooden brace like box to hold the damper assembly in place without having to hold the weight of it and line up the bolts from the outside.

The other issue for you is placing the arm that connects the damper handle to the damper. You will see picture #5 on the link I sent you showing the way the arm sits. I made the mistake of trying to put it back in uspide down and with the angle in reverse. It will not work. In fact you cannot put it in because it will hit some other objects in the area and will not sit back in correctly. Once you put it back the right way it will look and function correctly. There is only one way to do it so process of elimination will be your best bet, if one way doesn't work flip the metal arm and try to get it to fit another way (there are four different ways to try to have it in.) Also, you'll have the damper handle to mess around with. There are only two ways to hold the handle, open or shut. I wish I could be more helpfull, but without having the stove appart, I can't really explain any better. The only thing I can say is, it is tough and takes a lot of patience to put back together.

Good luck, hope this helps.

awesome - thanks - to reiterate- the top bolts go directly into the flapper housing- no nuts etc( why I could not find in ashes!) correct?
I did not re-orient the flapper rod- I just cannot get the one flapper arm on the rod side to fit so the little bracket that holds flapper arm in place correctly. assume flapper arm is above the rod at that point?
thanks again

JD

That's right no nuts! :lol: Just us putting back together our Defiant Encores! :) I'm sorry I can't be more help with the flapper arm situation, it took me quite a few minutes to get that whole mechanism together the right way. I've only done it once, as this is a new stove to me also. But it was a learning experience. I can't really remember how I went about putting it back in, without having it all apart again. For now it is all cleaned up and sits in the breezeway where it will be, until I buy a new cat for the stove and burn it next season. Good luck with yours! Just remember to take a breather and go back into it with a fresh attitude and get'er done!

Good luck,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.