HELP RELINING CHIMNEY WITH BUILT IN HEATILATOR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbotz2000

Oct 14, 2010
southern md
new to the forum, thanks in advance for all the advice

Im looking to reline my 12-12 teracotta tile chimney with an 8in stainless steel liner. I currently have a englander stove with an 8inch direct dump. I pulled the unit yesterday and found the heatilator pipes above the burn area will obstruct the liner. I also see that the heatilator tapers off above these pipes to a narrow area till it dumps into the existing brick chimney. I believe its about 6 inches. I know you can get oval liners custom made and also heard to cut away some of the heatilator.

Anyone have any suggestions or deal with this issue before.thanks

I dealt with this issue in my house...installed an insert in one room, and an free standing stove in another with two exsisting heatilator fireplaces.

The ONLY way to do it was to cut the heat tubes and surrounding steal to make the liner fit. Get a tourch, because the saws all just didn't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.