Help with chainsaw problem needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I have a Husquavarna saw, homeowners model. I bought used but supposededly had little use. Ive used it a couple times no problem. I put a new chain on a started cutting and after a few cuts the chain stopped moving. I took the cover and chain off, cleaned everything, made sure the chain was on correctly and started it up, again after a few cuts the chain stopped turning. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Start with the easiest..Check the oil hole on the bar and make sure its clean, and clean out under the clutch cover real good as well make sure bar oil is full. Make sure brake is not on the on position.... Clean bar grove with stright screw driver, Seems silly but us-ally the answer is...lol

Your right, I should go through all the basics, I may have hit something or overlooked, Ill do all that and report back, thanks

One time I had just finished a cut on a big log that had a bit of a funky shape where I cut. When I started the next cut the chain wouldn't move, and it took a couple of wtf's? before I realized I had hit the brake handle as I pulled the saw out and the round settled as I cut through it :red:. Just a thought.

Once I had a problem with a saw where the chain just slowly stopped moving. After a little cussing and some mechanicing I found that the roller at the tip of the bar had frozen. Soaked it in oil and got all of the saw chips out of it and I was good to go. Check the roller at the end of your bar. David

Captain Hornet said:
Once I had a problem with a saw where the chain just slowly stopped moving. After a little cussing and some mechanicing I found that the roller at the tip of the bar had frozen. Soaked it in oil and got all of the saw chips out of it and I was good to go. Check the roller at the end of your bar. David

Yep, been there, too.

Thanks, didnt think of that little roller, its been sitting a while, Ill go through everything tomorrow morning and give it a try.

Saw is running, but chain isn't moving:

If the saw winds up still, then check the drive sprocket or clutch - make sure it's not skipping/sticking

If it sounds restricted when not moving, then something is probably caught
chips stuck somewhere
chain is not oiling properly- run it full out over a piece of wood and make sure it's slinging oil
Roller is stuck

I took everyones advice and went through the saw, cleaned it up and its working great. Thanks everyone for the replies.

weatherguy said:
I took everyones advice and went through the saw, cleaned it up and its working great. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Woootwoooot! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.