Help with Deep-Cleaning an Accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Hello,
I own a 2006 Harman Accentra that I bought new and have run 2.5 tons pellets per year. Other than the basic cleaning, I think it is time to finally try to clean out the auger hole, or slider plate areas. How do I start with disassembling this area in a sequencial order? The stove runs good, but I believe it is developing some sort of dirty running problem as the past year it had developed a type of black gooey film across the sides of burn pot, inside door and by the glass wash air tube holes. I use good pellets, but is this the result of older pellets developing moisture? I used to put a liitle corn into the mix...but only about 15% corn to 85% pellets. Did the corn sugars goo up the stove if the corn wasnt dry enough? Well, no more corn...its going to a friend to feed ducks. Now pellets only. Do I have gummy stove syndrome? If so, I will only clean the stove good for now. I dont really have startup issues as I clean the ignitor area often. Also, I live in a small house with small rooms so my stove runs at lower settings. I dont often blast it on high. What stove gaskets do I need to buy? I am OK with doing the mechanical work, it is just a shame that harman doesnt have a technical manual I can buy. I really dont feel comfortable with the local dealers as they will give some repair help, but really are more sales-orientated.​

you wont know if you have gummy stove syndrome until you pull and check the slide plate. I beleive there's adequate info here and at harman's website which will tell you how to do this. I also dont think its a good idea to remove your auger UNLESS you have to (ie: you have a jamming issue, or your stove no longer runs).

As for the black substance on inside areas, this could very well be due to the fact you ran corn, idle your stove alot, or POSSIBLE lack of cleanig issues (hey, hard to diagnose anything without having your hands ON the stove). The Accentras do seem more prove to this than other models tho. For the heck of it, try running the stove HOT for an hour or so, and see if you can burn out the sludge.

There really isnt a Chilton's-type of manual for Harman stoves. I think they dealer should give SOME help, within reason, but frankly, hours of help and/or free visits to a persons home is probably a thing of the past....hey, the dealer has to eat too.......and some things just cant be fixed without a house call.

Maybe this? C'mon, it's 4/1! 41hC6eVtO5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.