Help with leafblower trick (with PICS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2007
CT
Need some help with the leafblower trick.
I've tried to do it in the past but couldn't get it to work, so I gave up and moved onto the next thing on my project list.

Well, I'd like to try it again this year.

I have attached pictures of my exhaust pipe....
I think because my exhaust pipe has three outlets on the outside of the house (2 cleanouts on bottom, 1 exhaust on top), I don't get enough seal for the blower to pull the junk out of the stove.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
mm

Attachments

• stove interior pipe.jpg
    stove interior pipe.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • stove exterior 1.jpg
    stove exterior 1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,176
  • stove exterior 2.jpg
    stove exterior 2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,199
  • Stove interior.jpg
    Stove interior.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,148
Well how did you attempt your cleaning?

I'd be tempted to run a lint eater in and out of the horizontal portion of the double clean out and up and down the outside vertical section.

Replace the caps move inside and run a lint eater up and down the inside vertical section then replace the cap, open up the stove, remove the combustion blower and clean from the blower cavity back to the tee with a brush and use a brush from the blower cavity back into the heat exchanger (likely to be two paths and ash traps to contend with). Clean and replace the blower.

Then go back outside on a ladder and remove the termination cap brush that out and attach the leaf blower. Turn it on, go back inside locate and disconnect the vacuum line and tape the end of it. Plug the leaf blower in and let it run.

That would be my first stab at it.

Oh, one other thing your fire extinguisher should not be that close to the stove, you may not be able to get to it when you really need it.

Use pellet vent caps or something to temporarily seal up the sections of vent pipe (but not something that could be sucked down in to the vent pipe). Leave one cape off to clean that section; replace that one and remove another one to clean it's section until every section is clean. Then open the stove doors to clean the stove's section of pipe and have all the other caps on.

The leaf blower will not clean the whole stove; it does work great for cleaning the pellet vent pipe and the nooks and crannys around the stove's connection to the pellet vent.
A clean stove is a MUST to keep it running efficiently and reliably. Check out the maintenance section in your stove's manual to keep it clean and running well.

Thanks for the replies guys....

I do have the stove cleaned annually by the guy who installed it. He runs a stove brush through the horizontal pipe and takes apart some of the stove parts (example: fan) and cleans it real good....
Plus, I do the regular maintenance on it (ash pan, firebox vacuming, etc.)
But I just wanted to run the leafblower on it for a little bit of extra cleanliness.....and to see what his cleaning doesn't get....and i'm jealous of everyone else on this site that has so much fun with it.....

I was gonna try to seal the top exhaust hole and the bottom cleanout on the exterior pipe.....maybe I can find some sort of cap [rubber for a good seal, maybe?] at HD or Lowes that will fit the pipe....then try to attach the blower to the exterior horizontal cleanout, then let the blower run.

thanks...

mm

SmokeyTheBear said:
Oh, one other thing your fire extinguisher should not be that close to the stove, you may not be able to get to it when you really need it.

good point.........i will move it....thanks.

SmokeyTheBear said:

I'd be tempted to run a lint eater in and out of the horizontal portion of the double clean out and up and down the outside vertical section.

Replace the caps move inside and run a lint eater up and down the inside vertical section then replace the cap, open up the stove, remove the combustion blower and clean from the blower cavity back to the tee with a brush and use a brush from the blower cavity back into the heat exchanger (likely to be two paths and ash traps to contend with). Clean and replace the blower.

Then go back outside on a ladder and remove the termination cap brush that out and attach the leaf blower. Turn it on, go back inside locate and disconnect the vacuum line and tape the end of it. Plug the leaf blower in and let it run.

Smokey --
Just to clarify....
My pellet vent pipe is the pipe on the left...no ladder needed.
The tall PVC pipe on the right that goes above the roof line is for my radon mitigation system.

mrmichaeljmoore said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Smokey --
Just to clarify....
My pellet vent pipe is the pipe on the left...no ladder needed.
The tall PVC pipe on the right that goes above the roof line is for my radon mitigation system.

I'd use a small ladder to get the leaf blower attached to that pellet vent just the same. That is just me a little support to hold things steady. Anyone who wants to do it differently can.

Why can't you just hookup the inlet side of the leafblower to the termination end of the pipe and let er rip?

Just askin.

smoke show said:
Why can't you just hookup the inlet side of the leafblower to the termination end of the pipe and let er rip?

Just askin.

You can provided you actually have a strong enough sucker to pull the crap all the way through.

Me I'd be leery after the two 90 degree bends to get outside. While the leaf blower does do a good job it is really a get the fine crap out after shaking things up, short horizontal runs are one thing, doing cartwheels with the venting is a different matter.

Then there is the fact that leaf blower A may not be anywhere near as strong as leaf blower B.

I use a cheapie weedeater brand on my 26ish foot vertical with a tee and two 45's, pulls it all up no prob.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36445/

SmokeyTheBear said:
smoke show said:

Just askin.

You can provided you actually have a strong enough sucker to pull the crap all the way through.

Me I'd be leery after the two 90 degree bends to get outside. While the leaf blower does do a good job it is really a get the fine crap out after shaking things up, short horizontal runs are one thing, doing cartwheels with the venting is a different matter.

Then there is the fact that leaf blower A may not be anywhere near as strong as leaf blower B.

Attachments

• 2009_0305Image0007.jpg
    2009_0305Image0007.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 2009_0305Image0013.jpg
    2009_0305Image0013.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 956
smoke show said:
I use a cheapie weedeater brand on my 26ish foot vertical with a tee and two 45's, pulls it all up no prob.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/36445/

SmokeyTheBear said:
smoke show said:

Just askin.

And your set uo is exactly the same bend wise as the OP's at the point it exits the house. He has two more ninety degree bends and what is the air flow through your cheapie, you should also note the OP wanted to know how other folks would clean it.

Just sayin' .

Are you attempting this with the door open or closed on the stove. I can put mine on and walk away. I then go inside and open and close the door and tap around (lightly) to knock anything loose. My unit is a Troy-Bilt with 450 CFM and 240 MPH ratings.

is that 3" or 4" pipe.if its 3" its got an evl of about 28 if my calculations are correct.dont see a surge protector either.protect that investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.