Help with OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rudy426

Nov 22, 2011
S.E. Mn
I'm thinking I bought the wrong OAK kit for my P-38.
The kit I have came with a 2" flex tube but the intake on the P-38 is 2 3/4" outside diameter.
What size flex tube does the P-38 use. I read somewhere that Harman installs the OAK on the
inside diameter of the intake where a 3" is to big and a 2" is to small. Plus the knock out piece on the
back panel is for a 2" flex tube not a 3".
I have been over thinking this thing now for over a week. Need help before I spend money on things I don't need.
What can I use to build up the 2" flex tube to fit the inside diameter of the intake
or should I go with 3" and go with outside diameter but wont fit through the knock out piece on the back panel.
What mods have you done to make this work.

Home Depot sells 3" furnace duct, both straight sections and elbows. It's cheap, cost me less than $10 to do mine.

Yes, 3" is a little big, but the crimped end fits perfectly over the Harman OAK connector.

I left off the back plate with the knockout piece. There's no harm in that. You could also expand the knockout with a Dremel but I didn't bother.

I got the two inch flex pipe to work. wrapped a bunch of blue tape around it until it fit
then screwed it and put duck tape round it to seal it up.
The flame hasn't changed so it's getting plenty of air.
I called Warming Trends and they said that Harman uses 2 5/8" flex pipe which they carry.
If anything goes wrong then I'll get some 2 5/8"
Thanks for the replies.

rudy,

You might want to get some high temperature aluminum tape and ditch the duct and blue stuff.

The OAK is technically vent because under certain failure modes smoke and very hot air will exit through it.

SmokeyTheBear said:
rudy,

You might want to get some high temperature aluminum tape and ditch the duct and blue stuff.

The OAK is technically vent because under certain failure modes smoke and very hot air will exit through it.

Today is clean the stove day. I'll get it changed over to aluminum. Thanks for the heads up.
I can't believe how much of a difference it makes.
The temp is set at 68 and the stove is on room temp with the fan on low, feed rate at 3 and it's got a real nice flame going.
plus trying out a bag of Henry County Hardwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.