Help with sinus cold! Zicam?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

Has anyone here used Zicam before I would like to try it but want some reassurance it will work first. I have lost my voice and have a very sore throat as well as very heavy sinus drainage. I under stand what it is supposed to do but it sounds almost gimmicky. Thanks for help any other ideas would be great given my bosses order to go home lol I will be here all day!

PS the doc put me on a plethora of drugs too.

Thanks Guys
Pete

Attachments

• Zicam.jpg
    Zicam.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 368
Best check with your doc first.

I asked the Doc and he said it was fine to use however I am very leery of medicines to begin with so I am just double triple checking to be sure. Not that I do not trust the Doc but real world experience is better for me sometimes. I am also fishing for some home remedies people use for sickness!

Thanks
Pete

If you can stand it use a neti pot with about 4 times the about of salt per instructions. It really dries out the old snoz. You can get the neti pots from your local pharmacy. The more salt the more the nasal cavity is dried out.

My son and daughter go through rhinosteroids like they are going out of fashino (due the their disease). We have found that the best is something called Nasonex, we rinse with the neti pot first and follow it up with the nasonex
Ray

Ray
Is that the thing that looks like a tea pot for your nose? Salt makes sense I had not thought of that before!

Pete

Right, tea pot for the nose. here is the link http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php

If, like my 5 year old, you really get backed up in there you need pressure (to really clear it out) We have both the little blue teapot and the "sinus Rinse". We have been using the teapot for a couple of years and just got the Sinus Rinse bottle (it's nothing special, just a bottle with a tube in it) on monday this week. Wow, what a difference the pressure makes, all the boogers come out. The kids have a real problem with all the mucus getting impacted in the maxiofacial cavities (those are the ones in the cheek bones) and getting the dried out boogers out of there. The more blowing of the nose you do the more it impacted the boogers get (its a fine line). The best part is that the water, when its in the nose, acts like a rocket propellant so that when you do blow your nose out you get everything and then some.

After the nose is really cleaned out your speach will sound normal as all the cavities are cleaned out, we do it twice a day. Nose rinsing every day, for the kids at least, has reduced the number of sinus infections they get.

Ray

I have used Zicam successfully, but the instructions specifically state to use it immediately on the first onset of symptoms, like when you first get that nose/throat tickle. If your symptoms are advanced enough for your doc to medicate, Zicam would be a waste of money.

rayg said:
Right, tea pot for the nose. here is the link http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php

If, like my 5 year old, you really get backed up in there you need pressure (to really clear it out) We have both the little blue teapot and the "sinus Rinse". We have been using the teapot for a couple of years and just got the Sinus Rinse bottle (it's nothing special, just a bottle with a tube in it) on monday this week. Wow, what a difference the pressure makes, all the boogers come out. The kids have a real problem with all the mucus getting impacted in the maxiofacial cavities (those are the ones in the cheek bones) and getting the dried out boogers out of there. The more blowing of the nose you do the more it impacted the boogers get (its a fine line). The best part is that the water, when its in the nose, acts like a rocket propellant so that when you do blow your nose out you get everything and then some.

After the nose is really cleaned out your speach will sound normal as all the cavities are cleaned out, we do it twice a day. Nose rinsing every day, for the kids at least, has reduced the number of sinus infections they get.

Ray

This is very good info thank you Ray I think I will have my wife pick one up as she works for a hospital. I have been using saline for a couple of days and man its like someone hooked a pressure washer up every time I do that and yet it still clogs up after. I wasn't aware of the blowing nose impacting buggers either thank you Ray very much.

Pete

rayg said:
If you can stand it use a neti pot with about 4 times the about of salt per instructions. It really dries out the old snoz. You can get the neti pots from your local pharmacy. The more salt the more the nasal cavity is dried out.

My son and daughter go through rhinosteroids like they are going out of fashino (due the their disease). We have found that the best is something called Nasonex, we rinse with the neti pot first and follow it up with the nasonex
Ray

I also use this weird product. It works good. Pat

Thanks Pat that is good to hear I am defiantly buying one due to getting sinus slammed to much this year.

Thanks
Pete

I use the neti pot thingy too, but not the pot, the spray one....I got the pot one but could not do it correctly...
I find that using it keeps the sinuses clear especially with the wood heat. If I don't use it I wake up in the middle of the night with a stuffed nose but there is nothing to blow out >:-( ....and I have a humidifier in the bedroom.
Yeah, I posted that I used this product before here. I got 4 pm's about the brain eating amoeba that someone got when using tap water in the pot.... :grrr:
I only use distilled water....

I don't know about the Zicam....never tried it....try the pot.... :)but follow the instructions as to how to use it correctly...

Wow brain eating thats freaky stuff I guess I will use distilled water as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Pete

Pete1983 said:
Wow brain eating thats freaky stuff I guess I will use distilled water as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Pete

I think I used tap water once or twice....might be why I am a lil "not right"..... :lol:

Gamma Ray

Ya I am missing screws already thanks to Uncle Sam maybe this at least clean the rust out :lol:

Another home remedy for sinus problems is to make a saltwater solution and swab out your nose with a q-tip.
Gargling salt water will help with your sore throat also.

I go to the pharmacy, give them my ID, and buy a box of the 120mg 12 hour Sudafed (the real stuff).

That, and my netti pot in the shower in the morning.

If it is really bad, a 10 day course of antibiotic from the doctor helps too.

-SF

Just remember that you are supposed to use DISTILLED water in your neti pot so you are not pouring chlorine and other tap water minerals and possible nasties up your shnoz.

Edit: as was stated 4 times before me...

HAHA Thanks for the late but helpful info Backpack 09 its ok I did get distilled water. Let me say Niagara Falls in my nostrils is a very odd feeling but man can I breath now!

Thanks
Pete

Pete1983 said:
HAHA Thanks for the late but helpful info Backpack 09 its ok I did get distilled water. Let me say Niagara Falls in my nostrils is a very odd feeling but man can I breath now!

Thanks
Pete

Pete, make sure you do the neti pot every day, not just when you are sick. Make it part of your daily routine. Supposedly it helps prevent getting colds and sinus infections. I believe it because I have not gotten a cold/sinus infection since I have been using it.
Glad you can breathe now...Progress!

Gama Ray
I can definitely breath like I haven't in a couple of years now! Thanks for the help all you guys I even got my voice back yesterday then promptly lost it because I decided to use it :lol: so I shut up for a couple of hours again and wammo my voice is back today :) :exclaim: Thanks again the neti-pot is pretty odd but awesome.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.