HELP with wood I.D.! - red pine?? UPDATED PIX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
What do you guys think? It was red when I split it a year and a half ago, and is still red today. Rounds I found were rather large (20-24"), with a scale-y,reddish, pine-like, bark. Thanx for looking!

Attachments

• red pine.jpg
    red pine.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 370
I have no idea what type of wood it is from looking at the picture. On Long Island I think there is a lot of Pitch Pine, plus probably many types of introduced pine. White Pine has white wood, so it isn't white pine. All pines have a piney odor when you split the wood. if it really is pine you should recognize the smell.

There is no smell now(its been c/s/s for 1 1/2 years), and even then it seemed much the same as it is now. I think it it must have been standing dead when dropped. Its MC is down to like 12-13%, but it still has pretty good weight to it.

IF red pine is the pine that looses it's needles it burns as well as maple. I had the occasion to get a pick-up load two years ago and it burns fine

The one that loses its needles is Tamarack. Not really a pine. If this wood is heavy when dry, maybe it is oak, not pine.

The fibers sticking out from where they ripped when it split make it look like pine to me.
I can't see the end grain well enough, not that either means a lot on it's own.

Red pine is supposedly heavy.

I have a little bit of what I call scrub pine that is probably pitch pine here and it is heavy, too compared to white pine.
Too long since I cut any of it, but I think it was more yellow inside.

I'll split a bigger piece when I get home from work and take a pic of the fresh split. I'll bet dollars to donuts that the inside is just as reddish/brown as the day i 1st split it 1 1/2 yrs. ago. I don't KNOW for a fact that it IS pine, thats just a semi-educated guess. By the way, it split like BUTTER when I 1st got it.

In the meantime----some one HAS TO KNOW what this is!!!!! :)

wood-fan-atic said:
In the meantime----some one HAS TO KNOW what this is!!!!! :)
We know its wood! To get more details we need to see more of the details. Split it again and make a fresh cut. Give us some help.

Ok. Give me 'til 5 o'clock. I'll get some more pics up. Thanx. ;-)

The non-white-pine pine I get here (which I think is in the red pine family) is a lot denser than white pine, but does not split like butter. From that picture alone I would have guessed maple.

Ok. Heres some more pics. You can see the very rough, reddish , bark. Inside the split, its sort of smooth. tHERE IS ABSOLUTELY no stringy-ness.

Attachments

• red pine4.jpg
    red pine4.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 214
  • red pine5.jpg
    red pine5.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 200
It does look like the red pine I've seen. Red pine is not native to your area but was planted heavily by the CCC in the era following the great depression. I've always seen it in plantations of large trees which are in rows. I have no experience at all burning it.

The CCC? I got it from Huntington, which has been settled since the 1700"s.

Status
Not open for further replies.