Help with Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rshanno1

Aug 20, 2011
Central Ia
Had this tree blow down a couple of weeks ago and started cutting it up today. I'm guessing, by the small nuts still on the tree, that it's a hickory but I've never cut any so I'm not sure. Thanks....

Attachments

• wood id2.jpg
    wood id2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 390
  • wood id.jpg
    wood id.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 404
If that's a hickory nut, it's pig nut hickory.
Good fire wood what ever it is :)

Pecan perhaps? Just a hickory subspecies anyhow.

bogydave said:
If that's a hickory nut, it's pig nut hickory.
Good fire wood what ever it is :)

Looks like pignut to me too.

nrford said:
Pecan perhaps? Just a hickory subspecies anyhow.

Pecan is a full species in the hickory genus Carya (illinoinensis).

Looks like pignut to me too. Any pics of a larger portion of the trunk? Pignut always resembles ash to me with big ol heartwood...

Never heard of a hickory blowing over. Unless maybe its root system suffered major injury.

They do fall occasionally..

Attachments

• DSCN3943.jpg
    DSCN3943.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 299
Yes they do. The shagbark I got this year took out 3 cars! 'hurricane took it down"

Yeah - its pignut.

Seem a little dark for pignut but I would still say PIGNUT!

Thanks for the responses. Got this much cut up today, still half the tree to go.

Attachments

• Hickory.jpg
    Hickory.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 182
Now that last pic looks like Pignut to me. Can you get a pic of the bark and split on a medium-big piece (up the trunk a bit, but not too far?)

Status
Not open for further replies.