HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Buck

Feb 6, 2009
Central Indiana
Help the newbie!
I want to thank you all for all great advice this forum puts out there. It has been very helpful in making my decision to get a wood stove. I need some help. My wife is worried about making the new stove pretty and wants to spend some big money to have a brick layer come in and build somthing that we dont need to spend the money on right now. Any way do any of you know of any websites that have some higher end stove mats or stove boards on them. I think if I can find somehing she likes It woul be easier on my pocket book and I can spend the extra cash on a log splitter:)

Here is another big manufacturer. Check with them for local dealers:

http://www.hearthclassics.com/hearth_pads/index.html

PS: What is the stove Young Buck? The hearth requirements vary a lot. If the stove has a low R requirement or none at all, it may be cheaper to have a mason do a quick brick job than buy a decent hearth pad. Or you could do it yourself and be a honeyhero.

Its a 4 year old Buck model 91 that My mother in law had installed as a insert. but she can no longer use it and i am going to have it put as afree standing stove

Okay, good deal. Just as BeGreen pointed out, be sure to check Buck's requirement for the R value of the hearth pad. My Endeavor had no stated requirement. It's cooler under and behind the stove than anywhere else due to the heat shields! Prefab pads can get expensive, too, keep in mind.

That is Buck's big dog, pay close attention to clearances, it will put out some serious heat. Be sure to use the factory leg kit. The good news is that the hearth requirement (assuming you are using the Buck legs) is not serious. A layer of cement board with a layer of bricks on top would be fine. A good hearth pad is $250-400. I suspect a local mason would do this job for under $200.

According to the manual, the hearth needs to be 50" wide at a minimum. (No harm making it wider if you can.) You could screw down some cement board yourself, then put a layer of tightly fit bricks on top. Put an attractive wood cleat around the border to keep the bricks from moving and call it done. It won't look as nice as a mortared brick job, but would meet the hearth requirements.

I think you will find that laying some tile is not as hard as you think and doesn't cost much. Our Home Depot has a class every Saturday morning. I had never done it before and although the job isn't perfect, it turned out really nice. You can see a little of it in my avatar.

Thanks guys! I am having a local chimney sweep who installed the stove in my mother in laws house put it in mine so I make sure we meet all the clearences and building codes. MY wife wanted a 2 foot pedestal and brick up both walls but I think she might go for one of these mats until we can get the brick work done. Im not against doing the brick but not right now.

Ya Wendall that tile work looks cool as heck! I'm somwhat handy but when it comes to making somthing pretty I'm not the one for the job. I 've build a few things in my life but i leave the finsh work to somone else

Thanks. My wife is a quilter so I let her lay the tiles out. I just put them up so I can't much credit for how it looks!

Contact a mason or two first and get some quotes. No sense in paying for the hearth twice. Really, this is an easy job for a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.