Help !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

french4366

Oct 14, 2009
upstate NY
Hi everyone, I have a England 25- PDVC pellet stove. It seems to be burning dirty. I clean this thing top to bottom about every other day. With winter just around the corner
how can I fix this? Any help I would appreciate.thanks , Todd

Attachments

• pellet stove 001.jpg
    pellet stove 001.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 555
Do you have any Vertical Rise in your flue? Looks like a Direct vent (just Horizontal), unless that is a High Exiting Basement install??

Englander recommends at least 3-4 ft of Vert for Draft. That would help a little.

Also what are your bottom 3 settings (LBA-LBF-AOT) on your Control board?

How old is this unit? Did you buy it new?

thebutcher said:
thanks for the fast replies.
LBA- I'm not sure what that is
LBF - 5
AOT- 1
Todd

EDIT oops. Double Post

6-4-1

thebutcher said:
Hi everyone, I have a England 25- PDVC pellet stove. It seems to be burning dirty. I clean this thing top to bottom about every other day. With winter just around the corner
how can I fix this? Any help I would appreciate.thanks , Todd

As others above have noted, that stove is burning VERY dirty (rich), as evidenced by the coating of what looks to be creosote on the cap.

You say you clean the stove every 2 days.....a real cleaning is NOT just cleaning out the firebox. It involves actually dismantling as much of the stove as possible......removing blowers, augers, etc, etc, and cleaning all the ash traps.

Also, since you have a direct vent set-up, it would be VERY easy to use a leaf blower on that stove (after the above-mentioned complete cleaning) to get every last bit of ash out.

Bottom line....that is a dirty stove.

Also is that termination cap for a horizontal vent installation?

Looks like a vertical termination cap but it is hard to tell from the picture.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Also is that termination cap for a horizontal vent installation?

Looks like a vertical termination cap but it is hard to tell from the picture.

Good question Smokey. Looks like a cap for a vertical install to me.

Couple of questions for the OP....what year is the stove, and what are lower button settings? Has the combustion blower ever been removed
and cleaned? Has the OAK tubing been checked for any obstructions (bees nests, mouse nests, etc, etc)?

The year of the stove is 2001. Every year I have a local chimney sweep come in and do a full cleaning.
Then I maintain through out the heating season. As far as any blockage in the air flow the are none.
The stove it self is vented on the north side of the house. I was told that the north side venting was a bad choice.
Reason being you don"t get a good draft, I don't know if its true our not.
Todd

No Vertical Rise = No Draft. You are relying on the combustion blower itself to exhaust all of your flue gases. I will say it again. You need to install a 90 or a Clean-out T and put a Vertical Rise in your Venting system. Also take apart the Combustion blower. Clean inside the area really goo, lube the motor (if it can be), and adjust the bottom 3 buttons to factory specs. If you are still getting soot. Then email, call, or PM Mike Holton (Forum member/Head tech at Englander) and he can further assist you on making the correct adjustments to resolve your Sooting issues.

Clean the Stove "Really Good" and put a 3-4' ft rise in your venting. That alone will help a lot.

I'm not having any problems with my direct vent, although a rise as suggested can't hurt. Even when we lost power, there was very little smoke in the house - none visible, didn't set off the detector about 10 feet away, just a slight scent of smoke in the air. Our stove does not have an air wash, which probably helped keep the smoke in the stove.
I think your stove is burning poorly, which is why you are getting the accumulation on the siding. As already stated, a very thorough cleaning is indicated.
"A clean stove is a happy stove."

heat seeker said:
I'm not having any problems with my direct vent, although a rise as suggested can't hurt. Even when we lost power, there was very little smoke in the house - none visible, didn't set off the detector about 10 feet away, just a slight scent of smoke in the air. Our stove does not have an air wash, which probably helped keep the smoke in the stove.
I think your stove is burning poorly, which is why you are getting the accumulation on the siding. As already stated, a very thorough cleaning is indicated.
"A clean stove is a happy stove."
My Quad is Direct vent also. My siding is Crystal Clear. Englander recommends a rise in the flue. Either inside or outside. The bottom 3 buttons (adjustments) are for fine tuning the stove. But "Majority" of the time. The factory settings are ideal to run in most applications.

As imacman stated doing the "Leafblower" Trick on that stove, along with blowing compressed air from the inside (After a Full cleaning), will "Clean" it up.

1.-Clean, then Leafblower and Compressed air
2.- Reset Factory settings
3.- Install a 90* or Clean-out T, add 4 ft of Vert flue
4.- Sit back and watch the Fire

Is your flame "Lazy"?? Cleaning and lubing the Combustion blower may help a lot also. If its never been takin off and properly cleaned, there is a build-up on the blades. Which would put a rotational resistance on the motor, which would also lead to a bad burn.

Just a few ideas. Take it or leave. But..... I have just over 5 ft of Vertical on the Englander in my Shop. Burns like a Champ. No sootiong on the siding there either. Just my 2 cents. I think those 3 things would help tremendously. IMO

Todd, please describe what the "chimney sweep" does when he comes for your annual "full cleaning", and also please describe what your own "top to bottom" cleaning every 2 days entails.

As for the north-facing exhaust, that MAY be an issue, since most of the winter prevailing winds blow from the north, and may effect how the exhaust draws. The suggestions above are to help with the draw, and get an 11 yr. old stove back to working like it did when it was new.

BTW, did you buy this stove new, used, or was it in the house when you bought it?

Bottom line: the outside creosote covered exhaust cap tells the tale....dirty stove and poor draft because of the direct vent w/o any rise.

All that vegetation so close to your house doesn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.