Helped a neighbor cut some wood today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
My neighbor to the south is older,(upper 60's/ early 70's?) he has 30 acres of woods, it's made up mostly of soft maple, ash and oak. Today I seen his tractor in the woods so I walked over to see what he was up to. He was getting ready to cut a sugar maple(he doesn't have many) that the top broke off of. I offered to help him out, he first declined and stated he only had an hour to cut anyway. I told him we could have it cut and cleaned up well within the hour. I went back to my house, grabbed my saws and we knocked it out in no time. It's was nice having a tractor with a bucket, we just rolled the rounds over to the bucket and loaded it up!

After we finished up he told me I could help myself to his tree's at anytime! I also told him to give me a call anytime he was going to cut since it's a lot safer to cut with two people rather than cutting alone. So it was a good time, I was able to run the saw a little bit and helped out a good neighbor!

Perfect!!! That's a win-win for all involved. :coolsmile:

There is nothing better than the feeling of helping out a neighbor. The mere fact that you are giving selflessly to help another is the best spirit lifter in the world. I find that cutting for someone who needs the help is more rewarding than any amount of wood they could provide at the end of the work. Just the thank you and the look of relief on the individual's face alone is satisfaction enough.

Nice of you to help out. There are many times that I wish I had a cutting buddy especially when I am on the backside of the property felling a tree as there is so much that can go wrong so quickly.

I helped my neighbor cut his cherry tree today. He asked if he could pay for the fuel? No way man, it is just good to have good neighbors!!!

Nice job! Nothing better than helping a neighbor and making a friend.

RNLA said:
I helped my neighbor cut his cherry tree today. He asked if he could pay for the fuel? No way man, it is just good to have good neighbors!!!

So true , just wish I had some of them good neighbors

smiley-happy014.gif

Good for you for helping him out. It's just easier to keep neighbors "good" than otherwise. Every time you run your saw, you get better at it.

Remkel said:
I find that cutting for someone who needs the help is more rewarding than any amount of wood they could provide at the end of the work. Just the thank you and the look of relief on the individual's face alone is satisfaction enough.
I re-connected recently, after a couple of years, with an older couple that lives down the road. I saw a leaner on their property (Pignut) and pulled in to take a look. She came back while I was there and I told her I'd take care of it. Then we had some bad storms and a Pin Oak came down over there. I got a 5x8 trailer load so far, and it'll probably be a cord, all told. She called me yesterday; They had hung up a pine. I ended up taking down 8 dead ones. She exclaimed at one point, "What a blessing!" I don't know about that but I was happy to help out. Yes, it's rewarding but I like the wood, too. :) Win-win.

rdust said:
My neighbor to the south is older,(upper 60's/ early 70's?) he has 30 acres of woods, it's made up mostly of soft maple, ash and oak. Today I seen his tractor in the woods so I walked over to see what he was up to. He was getting ready to cut a sugar maple(he doesn't have many) that the top broke off of. I offered to help him out, he first declined and stated he only had an hour to cut anyway. I told him we could have it cut and cleaned up well within the hour. I went back to my house, grabbed my saws and we knocked it out in no time. It's was nice having a tractor with a bucket, we just rolled the rounds over to the bucket and loaded it up!

After we finished up he told me I could help myself to his tree's at anytime! I also told him to give me a call anytime he was going to cut since it's a lot safer to cut with two people rather than cutting alone. So it was a good time, I was able to run the saw a little bit and helped out a good neighbor!

rdust, you make us all proud of you!

And some day when this "upper 60's/early 70s" guy needs help I very well may call on you to help.

I thought this "random acts of kindness" thing was for the kids...good show man! You would be a great neighbor for anyone!

Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold . . . don't believe me . . . just ask some of the folks who have had "bad neighbor" stories of the neighbors stealing wood, calling the City on them and their woodstacks, complaining about smoke, etc.

Thumbs up RDust!

Pay it forward.... WTG !!!!

Shawn

There's a widow lady down the road a bit that we help out a little from time time with small favors. I was recently down there and spotted some bucked wood along her fence line. She said it had been there for a few years and that I was welcome to have it but to watch out for snakes in the pile. It's maybe a pickup load of oak. The other day I drove by and see a large oak has fallen over in the front of her house, pushed down by the high winds we've been having lately (alas, no rain to go with it!). Going to give her a call and offer to get rid of that eye sore (downed oak!) for her. She doesn't burn since her husband died.
Though I would love to have this wood, I'd like to think I'm helping her out, also.

^^ Offer to cut, split and stack it for her. She'll say no thanks and tell you to take all you want. The result is the same, but it leaves you being the nice guy without expectations and gives her a nice way to say thank you.

I got a call last night from a friend who knows I'm a die hard scrounger. His neighbor, an older single lady had 2 cherry trees come down in her yard. He asked me if I was interested (of course) then talked to her. Its a win/win. I checked it out quickly today. I can drag the branches (not much) over a rock wall into a wooded area that is on my friends property (and close to the trees) and the trees are close to her drive way.
This lady gets her yard cleaned up for free.
I get 2 nice cherry trees without a huge effort
My friend helps me out and his neighbor
Guess that makes it a win/win/win

I did a closer inspection of my neighbor lady's down tree today. I originally thought it had blown over, root ball and all. I really didn't want to have to deal with the root ball. Today i realized the trunk snapped off about a foot or two above the ground. Fairly clean break. I can easily take the stump down to ground level Nice long, straight trunk with lots of large branches. Not brushy at all. Should be easy to cut up and get it all out of there.

And while I was out checking that downed tree today, I spotted some 'debris' left behind by a power company crew. Got one pickup load full to the gunwalls. Probably two or three more loads out there.

pcscrounge.jpg

rdust said:

Did you get done in an hour?? I spend 40 minutes just looking at the tree before I cut!

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust, you make us all proud of you!

And some day when this "upper 60's/early 70s" guy needs help I very well may call on you to help.

I keep waiting for that call! :)

Wood Duck said:
Did you get done in an hour?? I spend 40 minutes just looking at the tree before I cut!

I wasn't real clear in my first post, we were just cutting the top half that fell. We didn't knock the rest of it down. It didn't take long though, he burns an old VC Defiant which takes some good length wood so it cut down on the amount of cuts required.

Status
Not open for further replies.