Hemlock Bench

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
We went back in tonight to grab the top of the Hemlock that we milled plus the supports so we had a bench we could sit on outside when looking at the moon.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3665.jpg
    100_3665.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 366
  • 100_3666.jpg
    100_3666.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 365
Nice. Liking the Hemlock lately, huh?

That's beautiful Zap. Tried to take a picture of the moon but the camera couldn't do it justice. Here is a sunset pic while I was splitting that wasn't too bad...

Attachments

• 081711 sunset 2.jpg
    081711 sunset 2.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 340
cygnus said:

Instead of making slab wood out of the tops we milled off they will be used for benches around our property. I was very surprised in the grain from Hemlock, we should have about four more hemlock benches then some white pine.

zap

SolarAndWood said:
That's beautiful Zap. Tried to take a picture of the moon but the camera couldn't do it justice. Here is a sunset pic while I was splitting that wasn't too bad...

Great sunset Solar, tough spot to split. ;-)

zap

Beautiful bench Zap. I have a couple 14" White Oak logs each about 4ft long,butt end of a snag I dropped last October.Been saving them for 2 shorter bench tops.Gonna rip them in half tommorow if the rain holds off.In March I milled a 13" x 6' butt end of an 80yr old Western Red Cedar telephone pole that Qwest left for me in backyard.Sure was easy to work,I have 2 outer slabs & a 4 1/2 x 13" beam from the middle.Will do something with it eventually.

zapny said:
We went back in tonight to grab the top of the Hemlock that we milled plus the supports so we had a bench we could sit on outside when looking at the moon.

zap

I make my own dowels and pen both ends like that. Milling a bench for the dinning room table Sunday Mortise and tenon legs on it.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

I make my own dowels and pen both ends like that. Milling a bench for the dinning room table Sunday Mortise and tenon legs on it.

On the base I just used the chainsaw to cut down about 3-4 inches, started my front & back cuts about 3-4 inches in then a cut down the middle, last I made a plunge cut from the end (pops everything right off) then sat the top part of the bench right in the groove, sits perfect.

The Moon Bench

Zap

Thistle said:
Beautiful bench Zap. I have a couple 14" White Oak logs each about 4ft long,butt end of a snag I dropped last October.Been saving them for 2 shorter bench tops.Gonna rip them in half tommorow if the rain holds off.In March I milled a 13" x 6' butt end of an 80yr old Western Red Cedar telephone pole that Qwest left for me in backyard.Sure was easy to work,I have 2 outer slabs & a 4 1/2 x 13" beam from the middle.Will do something with it eventually.

That Oak will make a nice bench, my wife wants more benches by the brook so that is a done deal. We talked about maybe selling a few or try to sell some.

zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Smokin is that bench for that table you put up before, actually throw that picture up here it might give me some ideas. :zip:

Thanks
Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Smokin is that bench for that table you put up before, actually throw that picture up here it might give me some ideas. :zip:

Thanks
Zap

Yes, I have one nice Black Walnut log left. The wide boards will be benchs and the rest will be siding for the coop.

Attachments

• table 2.jpg
    table 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 287
  • table finnish 2.jpg
    table finnish 2.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 285
  • table pic 3.jpg
    table pic 3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 284
Very nice, like they use to say on the Beverly Hillbillies the fancy eaten table.

zap

zapny said:
Very nice, like they use to say on the Beverly Hillbillies the fancy eaten table.

zap

Funny that some are afraid of hurting the finish, its bullet prof! The bench's I will use bee wax only on it and leave it pretty rough. Seen couple dozen at the State fair this way and just 4 legs Mortie's and tenon and lots of people setting on it...Looks like it will match the table well. Was going to use raiser and support like the table but this will be simple and quick!

Mine will be flat both sides 2 inchs thick and 7-8 foot long.

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 349
cygnus said:

cygnus, did you get all that rain last week? I saw one spot had close to 11 inches.

zap

SolarAndWood said:

Spy versus Spy in our bench.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3669.jpg
    100_3669.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 240
  • 100_3670.jpg
    100_3670.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 234
I love the grain Zap. Someday I hope to have the time to replace the $10 plastic ADK chairs from Wal-Mart with something with a little character.

Status
Not open for further replies.