Here are the pics, c/s/s Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I promised a while back I'd let you know how much Oak was in this pile. I had it delivered a couple weeks before
Thanksgiving and I worked on it as I could for about the next four/five weeks. We have a bakery and this was not
the time to get a load of wood, never again. Mrs. baker agrees totally. When I was done I measured it and used
one of those calculars on line to figure it out, those are really cool! The tally was just over 3 cord, not bad for having
it delivered right into my front yard for $50. I figure the cost was worth it since I didn't have to run all over using my
time cutting and hauling it home. The first pic is what I had delivered, the second is of when it was bucked up and
the third is of it all c/s/s in the backyard. I've afraid now that I'm looking at it, it'll have to sit for three years before
it's ready. I don't have space to spread it out to dry it better and faster. The four rows near the shed are the Oak
as well as the oppisite end the three rows are Oak except for a little bit at the bottom which is some Ash I had gotten
earlier in the fall. The final pic is of the porch roof I built a couple years ago. It works great to keep the snow and rain
away during the burning season. I had never thought about that when I built it. This year I hauled up four rows of my
wood to make some space available for the new Oak. Sure has been nice not running out and trying get wood up to
the house when I was working 80 hours a week. I've been spoiled the last few years. What I'm burning now is White Ash
and that's been coming out of our ears the last few years. It's been a while since I've had Oak. All I remember is how
poorly it used to burn in my wood burner until I found you guys and I learned why. I have some out back in the middle
of that stack right now that's 3 years old and I plan on moving that up next. Sorry, was too busy and tired to wish you
all a Merry Christmas so I guess a Happy New Years wish will have to suffice. I wish you all the best this new year and
much success with whatever you go after :)

Attachments

• 100_3890.jpg
    100_3890.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 720
  • 100_3900.jpg
    100_3900.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 749
  • 100_4050.jpg
    100_4050.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 755
  • 100_4051.jpg
    100_4051.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 741
Nice score for 50 !!!!! Three years from now, it will be the best 50 you spent.

It would of cost you $50 in fuel to run around and get that much wood. Nice pictures. Nice job on stacking the wood.

andybaker, very nice job.

zap

Good buy for $50, brilliant stacking, there is a lot of work there on top of a weeks hard work :)

Excellent score. Thanks for finding the time to put those pics together.
We like 'em. If you can afford to, the quickest way to get ahead is to order c/s/d wood, then keep getting deals like that one. Costs a bit more, but the payback is great.
I remember the 80 hr. work weeks, and still trying to get other stuff done. It was tough, so good job.

I'll take a Napoleon, please :cheese: And not custard filled :mad: I want the real thing.

From my view, that don't look like 3 cord. But unquestionably, you got a deal for 50 bucks! I am surprised your neighbors didn't get upset with you leaving that wood for a month or more though.

Well ISee,
I'm in Ohio and our Napoleon's have custard in them, fruit, whipped cream and chocolate too. Not sure I want to change them, sell too good.

That's what I thought when it was delivered but after it was stacked I was surprised. I figured maybe up to 2 to 2 1/2 cords best. I
bring wood home every year and process it, I think the neighbors are used to it. I try to keep it looking ok and kind of out of sight in
the back. I've talked to the city, as long as it's on my property, and safe, they don't care.

You certainly did a good job on cleaning up the sawdust after cutting it up. Nice and neat job from start to finish.

nice work! Looks great!

Good job!
Even better is the feeling you get when you look at it all stacked up & seasoning.
When the breeze is just right I bet you can even smell it, UMMM smells good :)

Andy, you are right about this being the wrong time of year for you doing all that work and I am amazed you did it. My hat is off to you young man. That was excellent work and the payback will be great.

I like custard too, and lemon. You probably remember that my wife was a baker. Maybe that is why I have this big belly... She still bakes, but at home now.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
I'll take a Napoleon, please :cheese: And not custard filled :mad: I want the real thing.

From my view, that don't look like 3 cord. But unquestionably, you got a deal for 50 bucks! I am surprised your neighbors didn't get upset with you leaving that wood for a month or more though.

it doesnt look like 3 cords?? man you guys in the states must be 8x8x8? and as for the neighbors...who cares!!

100_4050-1.gif

100_4051-1.gif

very nice piles ya got there andybaker :)

Terry

Thanks for all the kind words and yes, Dennis, I remember about your wife and you thinking about maybe even buying a place at one time. I'm still looking for you to stop
by and visit sometime if you get down this way. I get by your place every once in a while on my way up to the Lewiston area or the Straights although it's been a few years
now. And, thanks Terry on the complement. I didn't mean the whole pile was 3 cords, just the new Oak part I stacked. If I had to guess, about 6-7 cords in all, most of
those stacks are close to 6' tall.

Oak stacks look great, as does the covered patio. I am sure it gets good use during the warmer months as well. Great place to say a trip through the snow.Also, adds some interest to the back of the house. Looks like you are working on a great privacy fence for the pool in the back!

bogydave said:
Good job!
Even better is the feeling you get when you look at it all stacked up & seasoning.
When the breeze is just right I bet you can even smell it, UMMM smells good :)

haha @ smelling it!

I did have one neighbor say they love the smell of fresh cut Oak. :)

Andy, it seems we rarely get to the Straits any more either. We might try to fix that this coming summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.