Here I go..sooteater help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

Well I lit a fire today and could detect a faint smell of sweetness from my stove (prior to lighting). I presume this is the beginning of creosote?? Either way, my sooteater arrived ($125 with taxes..sigh!!) and I want to clean my chimney tomorrow.

Will this infamous sooteater bend from the ground into my T from the outside? My T is about 12- -18 inches off of the ground...should I detach my stove pipe inside and put a bag over the thimble?

ANother quick question: I seem to be missing a screw from my T plug. What size/kind do I need? There's only 2 to start with, I am not liking the idea of only having 1! Damn that chimney sweep from last year.

Thanks a bunch

Andrew

I don't use a sooteater so I can say how much it will bend. I will say that my stove sometimes smells smoky when it is cold. I don't think that is necessarily a problem because I never get much soot or creosote in my flue, but din't let me stop you from cleaning the flue. I do not detach my stove pipe when I clean the flue. I leave it connected to the stove and don't seem to get any soot into the stove, not that soot in the stove would be a problem.

Andrew - The soot-eater I use is for my pellet stove (4" dia vent). In the spring when I clean the stove I remove the vent & OAK by sliding the stove forward a bit. I remove the bottom T and run the soot-eater up the vent. I clean it from the inside because the roof access is really treacherous. The clearance from the hearth pad to the bottom of the vent is only 6" and I run it through 2 90 degree bends. The rod is really flexible and it does a great job. As far as the screw is concerned can you pull out the existing screw and match it?

Status
Not open for further replies.