Here's what I've split this year so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROVERT

Aug 7, 2012
Nothing compared to many here, but here's what I have so far into my first year as a wood burner.

DSC02219.JPG

DSC02218.JPG

This stuff will be taking a ride back to my parents', which is where it came from, to visit the wood splitter:

DSC02221.JPG

I knew it was going to be tough to split, but I didn't know it was going to be THAT tough. Everything else has been split by hand.

I've also split 2 to 2 1/2 cords of oak and hickory for my dad. I have 5 2/3 cords in the stacks shown. I'm planning on getting quite a bit more cut and split this winter, but I feel I'm off to a good start. A good portion will continue to go to my dad so that I can keep bumming seasoned wood off of him for this year.

Rovert, looks like a great start to me, nice work. Trust me, you'll never have enough so get it while you can.

Zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Great looking stacks! I wish mine looked that good.

of course that makes you a wood-a-holic on the threshold of becoming a cord hoarder:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/firewood-hoarders-club-ltd.52839/https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/firewood-hoarders-club-ltd.52839/

Looks like a great start! Your pallet stacks look similar to mine.

nice stacks
Your off to a good start, actually way ahead.

The rounds look like winged elm

Sweet stacks! You are well on your way....Dennis will be proud of how neat your stacks are.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hackberry splits about like elm...burns pretty not bad.

Nice work and a great start.

I'd say VERY nice start! Great work!

I agree with the others above - noce looking wood stacks and storage area. Like you, I set aside the tough stuff for splitter rental day. Great job!

Good job on the stacks. Cross stacking the ends just looks good ;)
Nice variety of wood too. I will be well seasoned in a year or 2.
Looks like yo have room for a few more stacks. Keep them growing in size, Dad may
want his seasoned stuff replaced in a few years ;) :)

Still leaves on the trees, what's your location? Somewhere in the south ?

Thanks, guys. My stacking isn't anywhere near the quality I've seen in some photos posted here, but I'll keep working on it. I plan on trying to get another five cord this winter yet. I've got plenty of room for storage. I could probably get 20 cord in before my wife would start complaining about it encroaching on the main part of the yard. I can keep going full throttle for a while yet.

I believe the rounds are Hackberry, which I believe is in the elm family. It's definitely very stringy and not easily split.

What I have in the stacks is oak, chesnut, maple, hemlock, mulberry, spruce, fir, walnut, and tuliptree. It is a pretty good mixture.

I'm in PA. Very nearly all of the leaves are off here and have been for several weeks. The major exception is several varieties of maples. The trees in the photos with leaves are Norway maples which always seem to hang in there longer than the rest.

Rovert, you are a good man! That is a lot of hard work for sure. Nice job of stacking too.

Nice stacks and a great start.

I feel I'm off to a good start.
Ah, yeah, I'd say so. In fact I'd say you're off to about as good a start as anyone has had. So long as you don't burn the Oak next year you'll be golden. Well done.

Your off on a good note, for your first year. Hackleberry is good wood, dries out nicely in one season in some sun and wind.

Looks warm where ever you are! I think I'm done messing with wood for this year. -5* isn't fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.