heutz oil now deliv. bulk pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roadrat

May 28, 2008
Maine
Heutz oil co. in Lewiston, Maine is now part of Les Ottens MESYS and will be offering bulk pellet delivery.
http://www.heutzoil.com/
I went to there open house and checked out there new boilers and hoppers, they have a portable light weight hopper that holds a little more than a ton for pellet stove owners that want to get bulk delivery it was made out of heavy plastic anti-static burlap material and thick cardboard, the price was a little steep at $200.00. but I guess it would be easier than stacking bags all season
I asked about building my own hopper but was told that static could be a problem while pumping pellets from a truck?
As of now I think there price was $245.00 ton delivered but I,m not positive.

just throwing it out there.

bill

what about the grain silos in the Midwest? don't they have an issue with static too? I'm sure these people did their homework on safety. I like the bags myself. I want to see how this works fro a few years before I make Any kind of a commitment.

Deffy said:
static with pellets? never heard of it. i never witnessed it handling any pellets either and i had to have burned 30 tons over the years?

maybe you can ground it with one of those straps radio shack sells for working on electronics?

Apparently this has something to do with how there pumped from the truck to the bin, a stray spark with a bin full of wood dust could be a problem.

bill

www_godzilla said:
what about the grain silos in the Midwest? don't they have an issue with static too? I'm sure these people did their homework on safety. I like the bags myself. I want to see how this works fro a few years before I make Any kind of a commitment.

There is really not much of a commitment except for the $200.00 portable bin, when you need pellets you call them up and they deliver them a few days later.
sorta like ordering heating oil, I don't believe that there is a contract or anything like that.

bill

roadrat said:
www_godzilla said:

There is really not much of a commitment except for the $200.00 portable bin, when you need pellets you call them up and they deliver them a few days later.
sorta like ordering heating oil, I don't believe that there is a contract or anything like that.

bill
I hope the portable bin is large enough and that there aren`t any stringent clean up regulations or fines in case a spillage occurs.

I hope the portable bin is large enough and that there aren`t any stringent clean up regulations or fines in case a spillage occurs.

We're talking about pellets, right? I wouldnt think so seeing how they're just wood.

Gio said:
roadrat said:
www_godzilla said:

bill

The bin I am talking about is 4' x 4' x 6" and holds about a ton of wood pellets, it has 2 fabric sleeves on the top for the pumping in of the pellets and another for sucking out the air and dust as the bin fills up, You can put the bin in your garage or possibly
in your basement if you have easy access for the hoses from the truck.

bill

So they would be delivering less than ton so you don't run out in between delivers.

slls said:
So they would be delivering less than ton so you don't run out in between delivers.

From what I understand when your bin is almost empty you call and get a delivery in a day or two. and if your bin is accessible to the delivery driver (ie, unlocked garage or shed) then you don't even need to be there, he'll make the delivery and leave a bill in the door much the same way the oil man does.

bill

all is good unless the truck gets in a accident or you need to order a part for the truck and the part wont be here for another week.. Then what do you do??

compressedwoodsupplier said:
all is good unless the truck gets in a accident or you need to order a part for the truck and the part wont be here for another week.. Then what do you do??

buy a few bags to get ya through?

I've been using Heutz for a little over a year now and they do a good job and save a lot of work. My bin holds 3-4 tons and is filled every couple months. If for any reason they couldn't deliver Maine Energy Systems has their own trucks as well and could be arranged. Apparently they are now distributing trucks so look out for more delivery companies especially if oil goes up.

roadrat said:
Deffy said:
static with pellets? never heard of it. i never witnessed it handling any pellets either and i had to have burned 30 tons over the years?

maybe you can ground it with one of those straps radio shack sells for working on electronics?

Apparently this has something to do with how there pumped from the truck to the bin, a stray spark with a bin full of wood dust could be a problem.

bill

As a woodworker, I have my central dust collector grounded end to end. You only need to see what one dust explosion does to convince you to ground the hopper. If they are only concerned about proper grounding, run exposed 4 gauge wire from top to bottom on all sides and attach them to a heavy ground spike. The issue for them is likely their liability insurance.

Freefromoil said:
I've been using Heutz for a little over a year now and they do a good job and save a lot of work. My bin holds 3-4 tons and is filled every couple months. If for any reason they couldn't deliver Maine Energy Systems has their own trucks as well and could be arranged. Apparently they are now distributing trucks so look out for more delivery companies especially if oil goes up.
Are the pellets their own brand? rebranded or another one that is well known?

Freefromoil said:

Hello Freefromoil ! Any pictures of your pellet bin ? Would like to take a look at it ! Thanks ;-)

I looked into bulk delivery, but found it more expensive than buying and hauling myself. I did find a storage solution from friends who live in farm country where seed crops are grown. I think it is Buckhorn who makes reusable containers for seeds. I am sure that any farm area has something like this, but not on as large a scale. The "boxes" are the size of pallets and 3-4 feet high, have a center shute and are made of HDPE or Poly (not sure which). Friends with horses in the mountains use them to store their oats and such to keep them away from the rodents. They are stackable and should be easily moved with a hand fork-lift.

As I said, until this last Winter bulk was not an option, but may be more attractively priced now with a maker two miles away. There are also small Silo makers all over the place that make units for livestock feed out of Poly. Not cute, but they work and keep things dry.

save$ said:
Freefromoil said:
Are the pellets their own brand? rebranded or another one that is well known?

I believe they are sourcing there pellets from a mill in Strong, Maine.

bill

The biggest draw back I see with bulk right now is lack of pellet selection. You get what they got and that's that! Once there are choices it should help in there sales. We pellet burners can be somewhat choose!

Second is you have to buy or build a storage bunker.

roadrat I also like the idea of a hopper and bulk delivery, however the biggest issue for me with Les Ottens business is you are paying a steep price for bulk delivery, and they decide what brand of pellets you get. If I remember when I looked at them a while ago they where delivering pellets made in Athens Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.