Hey everybody... long time no see...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRedHoofbeats

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I guess it's that time of year again, huh?

I'm looking for a small electric chainsaw that I and my 14 year old stepson can operate easily, just for breaking up brush into kindling and hacking down some of the smaller hackberry-type trees we have around here. Nothing over 6 diameters and honestly I could do it with a hatchet if I really wanted to, but I have a yard full of the stuff and my wrists are developing carpal tunnel. =P

I'm not expecting this to last for forever, I just want it to be easy to operate, have a top-handle, and be able to do the small branches. I have a Stihl gas powered saw that's been doing me fine for real logcutting, but it's heavy and I want something easier on the hands weight and vibration wise for the dinky stuff.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much!

~Rose

Price range?

Uhm, cheap-ish? Under $200? I don't want a total plastic piece of crap but it also doesn't need to be a workhorse that'll last until the end of time, know what I mean?

~Rose

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
Uhm, cheap-ish? Under $200? I don't want a total plastic piece of crap but it also doesn't need to be a workhorse that'll last until the end of time, know what I mean?

~Rose

Yea, I havent seen a top handle one is that a must have?

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
It's a preference but not a must-have. I just find them much easier to control when you're working low to the ground.

~Rose

Yea I like top handles my self. Was just looking on craiglist seem you can pick up a used one for 30-60 bucks all day long. Get the chain sharpen and roll with it. Could not really see most home owner running on much loner than they have to (Or one chain) ;-)

Rose, you might want to look at the smaller Stihl saws for your cutting. Not only can you get the smaller saw but you can also get the easy start which saves a lot of work! This way you would not be chained to an electric outlet so if you wanted to use it in the woods you could. Then you can also get a hand held sharpener quite reasonable in price. On sale you can get them for $10. I used to always sharpen the chains with a file but after my hands went south I finally bought a hand held sharpener and if you are careful they can do just about as good of a job as a file and do it in a whole lot less time too and it is much easier on the body.

Cutting brush or other small stuff with a chainsaw is very dangerous, because it's very easy to snag the stuff with the chain and lose control. To establish proper depth of cut, you really need to have at least two cutters in contact with the wood; then you have a chance.
This could especially be a problem with a youngster. They think they're immortal, and may be new to how quickly things can happen with a chainsaw.
Better chances with loppers or bow-saw, or a pole-saw.

Another good option that I forgot, in spite of using one often: a brushcutter- straight shaft trimmer with 80-tooth steel blade. You might want the young-uns to keep their distance.

CTYank said:
Cutting brush or other small stuff with a chainsaw is very dangerous, because it's very easy to snag the stuff with the chain and lose control. To establish proper depth of cut, you really need to have at least two cutters in contact with the wood; then you have a chance.
This could especially be a problem with a youngster. They think they're immortal, and may be new to how quickly things can happen with a chainsaw.
Better chances with loppers or bow-saw, or a pole-saw.

+1...I agree. Chainsaws are, obviously, dangerous. But to younger teenagers - this life-threatening fact can easily be forgotten or taken for granted. I could not - and would not - judge the maturity level of any one particular 14 yr.old without knowing them....however -- I have a 14 yr. old. boy who - although he works very hard - CAN be easily distracted, and I would rather wait a few more years before putting a chainsaw in his hands. It only takes a second for a life to change FOREVER - so I would rather be safe than sorry. Just some food for thought.

I was using a chainsaw when I was 12. He'll be fine. I'm not just gonna send him outside and tell him to have at it- he's used them before and both me and his dad will be there. We're cutting up 3-4" limbs, not felling oaks here.

I ended up driving out of the neighborhood and saw a 16" Craftsman chainsaw for sale- electric AND had a top handle. Asked if I could try it out, he said sure, and it works like a champ. Took it home for $20. He'd bought it to cut up one tree and then never used it again. Threw in the extra chain it came with for free, too!

~Rose

Good find!

I agree, your stepson will be just fine with the proper supervision.

Status
Not open for further replies.