Hey Good Lookin', Whatcha Got Cookin'??? Who is using their stovetop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
I started off this morning being stuck home not work due to inclement weather. I'm heading out to a buddies cabin for the weekend and am bringing potatoes for hash browns. Decided to save some time and bake the potato's in my dutch oven on the stove top (I put about 3/4 of kosher salt in the bottom of the dutch oven then potato's on top).

Since I was cookin' and had foil down, figured I'd do a pot roast as well.

She's got about another 1 1/2 to 2 hours to cook and the Mrs and I will be eating well.

What are you guys cooking on your stove tops? How are you doing it? Any good recipes to share?

pen

01282009003.jpg01282009001.jpg01282009002.jpg

I used the griddletop to simmer some chili a few weekends ago. Figured the stove was running and I might as well use the heat and save a few pennies by not using the electric stove.

You're making me hungry Pen !!
The foil is a great idea and now you got me interested in what kind of crocks and such I might have in the kitchen.

I'm goin to check...

Rob

I'm envious!

I cook beans in a dutch oven on my King stove, but that's all so far.

It may be my imagination, but I think it tastes better that way. My grandpa had a huge wood cook stove when I was little and he cooked fried potatoes and pancakes every morning when I stayed on the weekends.

Good times...

I just recieved some rotisserie parts I ordered off of e-bay. I'll build a frame for it to sit in front of the woodstove.

This morning I cooked my cereal (Quinoa) on the VC stove top. Generally, we put our griddle on the VC and cook pancakes.

Hi,
I stick mainly to what I call John Wayne coffee. I am the only one who drinks the stuff in this family, so I have a small italian expresso maker, into which I throw anything which is ground up.
It makes the best darned java ever....and boils in the wink of an eye.
Sometimes heat up water for tea for the "others"...I figure the stove is hot, why waste energy.
Have made stew/soup during power outages.

Cheers

The wife does all sorts of cooking on our stove and has for many years. Here is one that some might not think about: she makes apple butter on the stove top! Naturally, apple sauce too.

Outside of the usual heating up soups etc. I look to roast hot dogs in my stove using one of those old campfire hot dog holders. I only cook 3 at a time once a week or so. They don't give off much grease. I would like to try hamburgers but I think they would give off to much grease.

RPK

RPK1 said:
Outside of the usual heating up soups etc. I look to roast hot dogs in my stove using one of those old campfire hot dog holders. I only cook 3 at a time once a week or so. They don't give off much grease. I would like to try hamburgers but I think they would give off to much grease.

RPK

The Harman Oakwood (there may be others but I know of this one for certain) has its own grill grate that can be put in the stove.

I think a reasonable amount of hamburgers (4, not 2 dozen) shouldn't cause a problem.

pen

duplicate post

I just occurred to me that it might be possible to use the ash pan of my mansfield for heating cooking casserole type dishes that would be normally covered by just sliding the dish in with the ash pan removed. Item to be cooked would have to be foil covered. I will have to check the inside temp with my neighbors heat gun to see if it would be hot enough to work.

struggle said:
I just occurred to me that it might be possible to use the ash pan of my mansfield for heating cooking casserole type dishes that would be normally covered by just sliding the dish in with the ash pan removed. Item to be cooked would have to be foil covered. I will have to check the inside temp with my neighbors heat gun to see if it would be hot enough to work.

Have you got an oven thermometer or even your stove pipe thermometer for a bit?

Leave it in there for 20 mins while the stove is stoking, open the door and check it out. It's temp won't drop that quickly as you open the door.

I've never had a stove with an ash door (modern stove I should say) so I'm not sure how hot it gets.

pen

That looks great, pen. I agree with "Stove is HOT - why spend electricity on kitchen stove?" I've done hamburgers, sausages. Even tried thawing french fries in microwave, then cooking in a tblspoon of oil on stove - that sucked. Foil is a great idea - I got grease splatters.

Mainly soups and stews here. I do grilled ham & cheese (and variations thereof) and I like to re-heat cold pizza on the stove top.
Haven't done a pot roast but the pics in the original post had me diggin out my Dutch Oven...maybe Sunday I'll give it a whirl.
Since I've been heating with wood I find myself looking to cook on the stove when I can since it's already hot.

Ummm, I just pulled out a couple of sweet potatoes from the fire. Wrapped 'em in tin foil and set them near the red coals for half an hour. The smaller one got done, the larger one I had to put back for another 15 or 20 minutes. Free baking! I won!!!

I just finished dinner. While I was outdoors working, my wife cooked on the wood stove 100%. She fixed potatoes, gravy, venison and sweet corn. Because I was a little late she had to take some things off because it was getting too hot, but boy oh boy that was a very nice meal.

This just gives you an idea of our daily routine! Yes, we cook a lot on our wood stove.

This afternoon I did something you folks in the cold states probably can't do because you always have a hot fire going. I let the fire burn low, then pushed all the coals to one side. I put a couple of small pieces of wood on it, then on the right side I put in my small dutch oven with two sweet potatoes. Came back in something over an hour, and they were done and very tasty!

So now I'm wondering, why couldn't I bake a loaf of bread in there? I'm having fun experimenting!

I've done corn bread in the dutch oven and chili on top. Gave the corn bread a little smokey flavor. Probably the best corn bread of my life. But then I think everything is better cooked by fire.

My wife and I usually have some corn on the cob that we freeze over the fall. Take that and cover it in mayonnaise (I know it sounds Gross but it makes the corn juiceier) and wrap it in foil then throw it in the fire. After about a half an hour or so you'll have some of the best corn you've ever eaten.

Yo, you guys rock. I just pulled out my ash pan and sized up some small loaf pans we have. I will be making some bread this weekend.

Recipe: smoked goose

1 goose
1 12 g. shot gun
1 28' ladder
2 cups of coffee

Directions: wait till geese are flying over house, sky bust a goose and have him land on top of chimney. Kick back drink a cup of coffee with your buddy. climb ladder to get goose. best served with feathers plucked. Note: use apple or cherry wood for best results. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.