Hey new insert owners...blower noise level.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
My old crappy insert is cranking away right now, and the blower is LOUD.

One of the only things that has made me want to spend weeks, and tons of money ripping out my giant brick hearth and doing some serious re-model is the blower noise from an insert.

Are the new inserts pretty quiet? I'm most likely going to buy the blazeking princess insert. I would go with the bigger KING, but I only have 1700 square feet, and will only be heating 1000 square feet.

Anyone got a youtube video of a blower running?

Blower noise is caused by worn bearings or air inlet restrictions. Perhaps you could hear the model run at a stove shop before purchasing.

I run mine 24/7, you hear it but nothing earth shattering. Then again, I can hear the furnace kicking in...I would rather hear the stove.

Noise is such a subjective thing I doubt anyone is going to be able to answer your question satisfactorily. How close will you be sitting to the insert, what are the room acoustics going to do, where is the TV, do you guys speak softly or is it a loud family, will you have to run it on high all the time or will a lower setting do, and so on.
Even if you listen to it in a showroom it will sound different in your specific room.

I would just do the best job possible as far as choosing the right unit for my circumstances, then adjust to the blower. You know how it is- it's like a new refrigerator. The first day the noise is new and all you can hear and after a month you hardly notice it.

TV is in same room as stove.

Lower setting - noise is not heard over TV level. With no noise in room, you can hardly notice it's on.
Upper setting - noise is there. Raising volume on TV and noise is not so bad.

I rarely run the high setting. If I do, it's usually in the AM to get the house up to temp. Once up to temp, it's set back to AUTO - Low.

I have a small stove with a blower - the noise really bothered me at first (I would classify myself as pretty noise sensitive), but I have found that I've gotten used to it. I use the blower on low 99% of the time just to move the heat away from stove and into the room. The other 1% it's on med-high when I've thrown a bunch of dry hickory, oak, or hard maple splits in on top of 400+ degree coals and it generates more heat for an hour than I am comfortable letting the stove handle.

Rather than go with a built-in blower, I opted for the larger inline central heat blowers and installed it below the floor inside a box with a labrynth of baffles. Since it moves cold air instaed of hot, I also put a furnace filter in it which further muffles the sound. The blower is variable speed so I adjust the speed to my noise tolerance/cold tolerance. My refrigerator, well pump, and water heater make more noise than the blower.

I just had new Buck Stove insert model 81 installed about 3 weeks ago. Delaer/installer called me about a week later just to follow-up on any questions I might have. My only minor complaint was that the blower was too loud even on lowest setting. Dealer told me how to adjust this by finding a very small screw on the back of the rheostat . He said I should be able to adjust it down to a whisper.Dealer said that should have been checked on install and he'd send them back out if necessary but I was able to adjust without any problem. Big improvent. I don't know if this will have any long term effect on rheostat/blower with lower setting but I'm willing to take the chance for quieter blower operation.

Blower noise seemed loud to me at first too but, as others have said, I soon got used to it and now I associate it with heat. It's almost like if I don't hear it I feel cold even though the room is plenty warm.

I have a blower on the insert, floor flush hearth, hardwood floors, and a Samoyed/Shepard mix dog - that means I need to clean it often. I notice the noise most when it gets dirty - it seems to set it out of balance, and gives the same effect as a snow tire on the car that's out of balance. I really wish the blower was easier to clean, but short of blowing it with a compressor and vacuuming it, I think an actual disassemble and cleaning will have to wait 'til the off season.

I would like the ability to adjust it slower, but I need to do the research on how mine is wired first - low speed is ok, high speed is when I'm in the other room and want to be warm.

That said, once the house is hot, I usually leave it off.

I used to have an insert with a blower that wasn't loud but it was too noisy for me. I was able to block most of it by covering it up and just smothering the noise. Try a pie tin, foil or some other fireproof material.

Status
Not open for further replies.