Hey Punky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So whats the deal with punky wood?
You know when you split open a block and it's like styrofoam inside?

I haven't burned alot of it before, but as I remember - thinking it just doesn't burn.
This year I seem to be coming across more than I want to just throw back.

Is it worth it to mix it in?

When I was beekeeping I used to gather this stuff to put in my smoker. I don't burn it, but some do.

Punky wood is pretty much junk...as part of a woodlot housekeeping thing we C&S;it up for summer campfires. During fall and spring we burn it inside too ...cold mornings warm afternoons. It suits a purpose plus it's an easy take out of the woods. You never want to buy punky wood but if it's in you way in the back yard you can make it work for ya. also it doesn't take that long to dry out once it's split and off the ground.

With yours you might want to keep it separate and use it for a quick re-start for morning fires...it has to be dry though.

savageactor7 said:
Punky wood is pretty much junk...as part of a woodlot housekeeping thing we C&S;it up for summer campfires. During fall and spring we burn it inside too ...cold mornings warm afternoons. It suits a purpose plus it's an easy take out of the woods. You never want to buy punky wood but if it's in you way in the back yard you can make it work for ya. also it doesn't take that long to dry out once it's split and off the ground.

With yours you might want to keep it separate and use it for a quick re-start for morning fires...it has to be dry though.

^^^^Ditto that^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.