Hey what do you know it hit -9 °F for a new low for the season this morning according to my watchfu

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyTheBear

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2008
Standish, ME
I see some folks had to supplement and one found out the stove can handle what it couldn't before but isn't sure if the work done tightening up stuff had much of an impact.

I'll bet there is still more cold to come.

Meanwhile my birds have been taken care of so time for breakfast.

Likely it was Harman Lover.

My birds in one coop were complaining about hard water this morning.

sinnian said:
Glad your MWP hardwood worked out for you Smokey!!! Mine were CRAP!!!!!! LOW heat and HIGH ash. Finally burned through my 2 tons!

Burning the MWP softwood atm, and toasty warm.

I also believe yours was a later batch than either of the two batches I have in my stash and that the mill had undergone a change for first a new softwood run and then back to a blend.

I guess its warm here at 4 degrees.....2000+sq feet with a poorly insulated crawlspace basement. Living room 70....far end of kitchen 65....fathest bedroom 63....not bad indeed......Burning Vermont's

So much for MWP being just a shoulder pellet! ;-)

I like them too bear, At $214/ton them might be what I top off my supply with. Nearest competitor is over $240/ton

Only 17 here this morning Topped off the hopper before bed but forgot to raise the heat level. Wokeup to 66 in the house. My bad for not paying attention. After 2 hours we are at our spoiled temperature of 70. Going to do my weekly cleaning tonite.

Indy3 said:
Only 17 here this morning Topped off the hopper before bed but forgot to raise the heat level. Wokeup to 66 in the house. My bad for not paying attention. After 2 hours we are at our spoiled temperature of 70. Going to do my weekly cleaning tonite.

I got tired of that situation some time ago but had some gremlins to tame before putting the stove on a t-stat. I disposed of the last one last fall but didn't have the right conditions to verify the solution until it got colder. The t-stat was installed a week ago last Wednesday.

I still have a couple of things to tweak but I don't have to worry about missing a forecast (Which is wrong most of the time anyway).

j-takeman said:

I like them too bear, At $214/ton them might be what I top off my supply with. Nearest competitor is over $240/ton

I think that when the plant was switched over twice last year it probably had a few things not quite right when production restarted.

Just a surmise on my part.

Just to remind folks you try before buying large amounts and I do understand the complexities of getting mechanical things adjusted after changing settings. I put in my time burning the first generation or so of MWP blends and can still locate some nice shiny large clinkers. The ash however is long gone and so is the first burn pot my stove had.

j-takeman said:

At 214 a ton I would buy em up too. I liked the heat and had a clean glass, no clinkers. However, I had to clean the ash every 6 bags...this time of year I like a pellet that will give me a week...but for 214 I could do the extra cleaning...I paid 240 spring special price for them...that was the cheapest pellet available to me at the time.

Nice to see someone likes them. MWP has a contract with Jackson Lab to supply pellets when their new pellet boiler is installed.
They make a great industrial pellet.

Same at my place over night - -9*. P68 kept up just fine with MWP. Toasty upstairs as well as most of the downstairs. Kitchen, which is the furthest away from the stove was cooler but nothing I can't live with. Will look at moving air into/from the area next year.

I have tested over 6 batches of these. Mostly the cabin bag, But also the stove bag from the box stores. I haven't seen anything but super premium results. Ash content has always been lower than 0.5%. Weird we are hearing both good results and absolute junk. But I wouldn't consider them industrial by any means. Maybe the first season stuff. 3% ash is something most pellet eaters would choke on and not make it thru a full days burn.

Now the ash tally I see is by weight not volume. but even the volume I have seen is comparable to the stove chows and similar brands. Heat is right there with them too. I like a bit more for the cold season stuff, But they would be fine for my install to below zero outside temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.