Hi All, from a new member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty in Wisc

Dec 1, 2010
Milwaukee
Well, I finally got here! I met some of you at Woodstock Soapstone mortgage burning pig roast party where we bought a Fireview woodburner. Long drive, but nice trip...stayed at the closest motel for those 2 nights, just 2 blocks away where we met Backwoods Savage & wife Judy. I remember meeting Webmaster too who gave out those cedar fire starters. Hey, thanks!
We fit the burner in back of my PT Cruiser & drove it home & it's in the basement where Mike, my fiance', built a stone hearth & chimney last winter/spring. It is heating the whole house so far with the help of fans. I have pics that I'd love to post but will have to do later. Also, will post pics of the tons of wood & trees cut down & stored in lean to storage...mostly oak & maple that we are cutting & splitting. Also have some apple & cherry that I want to use for smoking meats & fish.
Well, it's nice to meet y'all & I'll be back.
Patty & Mike

Welcome!! :cheese:

I stihl can't figure out why this is in the 'Perfect Picture' forum . . .

Welcome to the forum Patty. I have been hoping you'd join in. I'm sure a moderator will move this thread but not if Patty posts some pictures.

For the other folks, my wife and I met Mike and Patty at the motel during the Woodstock party. It was funny because I was in the room while my wife went to the car for something. After quite a while I became worried because she did not come back. I went down and met her in the lobby. She said there was a couple that I had to meet and talk to. They were sitting outdoors (nice weather then!) so out I went and introduced myself. I don't remember how long we talked but we had a nice discussion and Patty was even nice enough to get Mike and I a beer. Now there is a very nice gal indeed!

They told me their plans on putting a Fireview into the PT Cruiser! For those who would like to see it, you can view a short video and they are in the video as is the loading of the PT cruiser here: Woodstock party

So Patty, we'll be waiting for the pictures.

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome to the forum Patty. I have been hoping you'd join in. I'm sure a moderator will move this thread but not if Patty posts some pictures.

For the other folks, my wife and I met Mike and Patty at the motel during the Woodstock party. It was funny because I was in the room while my wife went to the car for something. After quite a while I became worried because she did not come back. I went down and met her in the lobby. She said there was a couple that I had to meet and talk to. They were sitting outdoors (nice weather then!) so out I went and introduced myself. I don't remember how long we talked but we had a nice discussion and Patty was even nice enough to get Mike and I a beer. Now there is a very nice gal indeed!

They told me their plans on putting a Fireview into the PT Cruiser! For those who would like to see it, you can view a short video and they are in the video as is the loading of the PT cruiser here: Woodstock party

So Patty, we'll be waiting for the pictures.

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking the Fireview might heat up the PT Cruiser quite a bit . . . I mean those PT cruisers are pretty small . . . maybe if they installed it in a Ford Econo van or something like that. ;) :)

I wasn't sure where to post my intro but here's some pics. I will post more of all the wood we have split & stored.
Hey Dennis, thanks for that video....I couldn't find it at their website.

Here's Mike & me
woodstocksoapstone-1.jpg

woodburner in basement below garage. Notice a fan to the right & a hole thru spancrete above. The fan blows heat thru a doorway opposite, & down a hall (another fan) & up the steps into the greatroom heating the upstairs. There is another hole in floor to the left - both with grates on in garage, & heat rises thru them keeping the garage warm.

101004_124514.jpg

chimney coming up thru garage. Notice the hole in floor (to right of chimney)- before grates. The hole to left is bigger & we take grate off to drop wood down to the "woodburner room". So far the furnace has stayed off - even w/lows in teens, but that won't last much longer.
101004_125057.jpg

Sorry for being blurry...I took pic with ph cam couple months ago.
Mike did the chimney himself (he's a mason) -- it goes up thru crawlspace & thru roof...& it has a block liner.
Here's Mike & Tom Morrissy after loading woodburner.
154.jpg

I know nothing about woodstoves, but I know lots about 'low in the teens and no fossil furnace/boiler running'. Suhhweeet!

And btw, it's good you posted pics. Some of the guys here like members to post pics. These guys are harmless, though! :)

Welcome, Awesome Soapstone!

Patty, the secret is simply dampen some newspaper, dip it into the ashes and wipe the glass clean. You can finish off with windex and paper towel if you like or if it needs but the newspaper and ash works wonders. Probably paper towel dipped in ash would work as good but I've never tried it. Might have to some day.

Backwoods Savage said:
Patty, the secret is simply dampen some newspaper, dip it into the ashes and wipe the glass clean. You can finish off with windex and paper towel if you like or if it needs but the newspaper and ash works wonders. Probably paper towel dipped in ash would work as good but I've never tried it. Might have to some day.

Geez Dennis . . . you spilled our secret method to easily and cheaply cleaning the glass . . . and here I thought we were going to start manufacturing an official Stove Cleaning Kit consisting of a bundle of newspapers and a quart of tap water . . . we could have made a fortune. ;)

Sorry Jake. I know firefighters are underpaid so should have known you needed the extra cash. I guess the fortunes will have to come some other way. When you find a way, clue me in as I am in dire need of some extra funds. HO, HO, HO. Christmas, you know.

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.