hi all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironpony

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2010
mid-ohio via St.Croix USVI
wanted to say hi,
first year burner here, bought a harman invincible used burns great
have burned 2+ tons this year, still tweaking it
have tried several pellets, lots of good info on here
believe it or not the stove keeps my 4600 square foot open concept new build at 66 degrees
no matter how cold it got this year and it has been colder than normal
i have to run it on high, burn 2 bags a day, but i think it is well worth it
we dont like it much warmer
now that it is 40 out i have to actually lower it or its to hot for us upstairs
look foward to learning alot

Welcome to the forum! Im pretty impressed at your stove heating 4600 sq ft even if it is open space!! Must be pretty well insulated. What pellets have you tried so far?

hardwood heat from tractor supply, good heat but regular clinkers which dont seem to affect the operation
and awf from the local mill seem cooler and lots of ash in comparison
going to try some somerset and pro pellet next

Welcome to the forums ironpony.

Remember to watch out for low flying pellet pigs, they tend to hurt if they hit you and they are a bit, shall we say, unstable when in flight.

as much as i like this stove/heat i am already thinking of filling the shed, figure i can get 8 ton in it, when i figure out which pellet i like best
oink,oink

ironpony said:
as much as i like this stove/heat i am already thinking of filling the shed, figure i can get 8 ton in it, when i figure out which pellet i like best
oink,oink

Remember that your application has to be accompanied with the dues, macman is the money launder for the organization and can't admit anyone until Eric gets his cut for the back room refrigerator ;-). So be sure to check with macman. I think that Jay (jtakeman) is the current director of admissions. If you wish you can join the rival gang known as Pellet Snobs, littlesmokey handles that groups admissions, their qualification list is rather lengthy them being snobs and all.

Enjoy the heat.

those old Invincibles are tanks! run for a VERY long time, and you can still get parts! yay! welcome!

when i went and look at it, it just seemed to have more character being cast iron and the price was right

I'm in year two burning and I appreciate the useful information I get here.

If you're happy with the pellets you are buying already, great. You may want to use the "search forums" feature to see what people say about different brands. Most people get to their own short list of favorites and one size doesn't fit all, but if you find a lot of negatives or a lot of positives, that can be a great starting point.

Welcome!

Heating 4600sqft with a stove? WOW...nice

Where are the pictures? Did I miss the pictures? We love pictures ;-)

ironpony said:
wanted to say hi,
first year burner here, bought a harman invincible used burns great
have burned 2+ tons this year, still tweaking it
have tried several pellets, lots of good info on here
believe it or not the stove keeps my 4600 square foot open concept new build at 66 degrees
no matter how cold it got this year and it has been colder than normal
i have to run it on high, burn 2 bags a day, but i think it is well worth it
we dont like it much warmer
now that it is 40 out i have to actually lower it or its to hot for us upstairs
look foward to learning alot

lol Have you considered a candle? Sounds like your house maintains it heat very well. More power to you. My in-laws house is like that and I'm envious of it! :)

I've got a drafty cape that I've been insulating a bit at a time for the last few years. When we moved into the place we couldn't heat the upstairs above 62 degrees in the dead of winter (no attic entrance) and the oil furnace ran CONSTANTLY. Tried a candle trick to find the draft and it just went ballistic. Finally knocked on the ceiling... empty sound... hmmmm! Cut an attic entrance to explore... R19 in the majority; some was on the rafters... some was on the floor! :zip:

Now... R51 (two layers R19 and one R13) on the floor... MUCH BETTER! The side attics are a completely different story... still working on those!

yes it does the house is very tight and very open.
there is a 16x32 opening up thru the center which allows great air flow
between floors
also my furnace blower is programed to run 20 mins per hour, about 3- 7 minute cycles
which really distributes the warm air
the master bedroom wing stays cooler but that is great for sleeping
i realize for most people 66 degrees would not be warm but
for us it is, last nite hit 70 and we were opening a window to get some cool air
overall very happy, a little dusty during cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.