Hickory cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adjuster11

Aug 8, 2012
Lakewood, CO
I thought you flatlanders would be interested in our local wood cost. Here, we have to import oak, hickory, oxygen, and water.

My buddy runs a bbq business and uses hickory for his smoker. Uses about a cord a year. He just had 2 cords delivered for $1430.00.

Now he's outside Denver about 60 miles, but the "flat rate" for hickory was $700 a cord. That was dumped price, not stack, but it was split.

My brother in Missouri buys the culls and chunks of oak from the Amish for $20 bucks a shortbed trailer load.

Just like they say, location, location, location!

Damn, and that will translate into some serious cash for some of his baby back ribs.

Reactions: ScotO
Now he's outside Denver about 60 miles, but the "flat rate" for hickory was $700 a cord. That was dumped price, not stack, but it was split.

Wonder the cost to deliver & dump hickory, to Wasilla Alaska ?
Just dreaming :)
Location, location !

Reactions: ScotO
Jump right on that Dave. Shipping to Alaska won't be too much. Maybe a bit more than the wood though. ;lol

I thought you flatlanders would be interested in our local wood cost. Here, we have to import oak, hickory, oxygen, and water.

My buddy runs a bbq business and uses hickory for his smoker. Uses about a cord a year. He just had 2 cords delivered for $1430.00.

My brother in Missouri buys the culls and chunks of oak from the Amish for $20 bucks a shortbed trailer load.

Just like they say, location, location, location!

Wow! I got two loads of hickory this year in my neighborhood almost for free. The first was a tree that fell down in my neighbor's yard in a huge storm. That gave me about 2 cords, and I got it for a $40 U haul rental and a case of beer. The second was about a cord of hickory from a scrounge about two miles down the street from my house. I can't wait to burn it in 2013-14.

wish we had good hickory around here...not just for the btu but also the bbq

Lots of shagbark growing here on the neighbors farm. I've cut a couple dead ones down over the years, and they are great burning, but I like to save some for cooking/smoking. I have a job this winter with 12 hickories, two of them are in the 24" to 30" diameter range, the rest are between 10" to 18" diameter. I'll mill the bigger logs, the smaller ones will be in the cooking stack. I'm still a bigger fan of applewood. My all-time favorite for cooking and smoking.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
To me Hickory is tricky.....I try to have a very good (if not new) chain when I cut a good size Hickory down. It seems to splinter easy and it can leave one hell of a barber chair if your not careful. I have seen sparks come off the chain while cutting it. It's not like any other wood I have cut.

Where did the truck of Hickory come from? And was it kiln dried? Don't see how you could legally move firewood very far, unless it was kiln dried.

With the price of fuel, and the kiln drying.

Status
Not open for further replies.