Hickory is a spark show!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
Burning some hickory and every time I open the stove and stir the coals, Man! does the hickory coals throw some sparks. I may have to wear goggles when reloading the stove.

Yeah man, I had one hit me on the cheek behind my glasses because I wasn't looking straight in. Out of all the junk I've burned,only hickory does it for me.
I don't remember my manual saying anything about eye protection.

Yup!

Locust does that some also.

You should try some hemlock!! that stuff pops and snaps like crazy!

Great time to have some season hickory..

I just tapped into my mulberry and it put on a real spark show to....

trailrated said:
Burning some hickory and every time I open the stove and stir the coals, Man! does the hickory coals throw some sparks. I may have to wear goggles when reloading the stove.

Throw some cherry in with it that sparks pretty good to.

zap

Hickory is one of the trees that seems to hold lots of termites. Those sparks you see are simply termite turds exploding.

I haven't tried any of the other wood you guys mentioned. So far I have burned red oak, beech, hickory and a little maple.

trailrated said:
I haven't tried any of the other wood you guys mentioned. So far I have burned red oak, beech, hickory and a little maple.

Thats a very fine mix!

I have some 2+ year old shagbark last month that created a great fireworks show when opening the door.
One landed on my back and I whipped my shirt off and found a small burn hole.
It's the bark that puts on an uncontrollable show......

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.