High Moisture Content in Pellets, rust - Update...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marylu

Oct 25, 2006
Southwest Wisconsin
Just read samm6's post on outside storage of pellets. I am having a problem too, but a little different. I posted about this a little while back and wanted some additional input.

We purchased 3 ton from our dealer as a pre-buy. They store outside. They have been stored in our garage, up on pallets, since the day we brought them home. The problem I am having is that the pellets look ok when the bag is opened, but after the stove has run long enough to warm the pellets in the hopper there is condensation. I suspect high moisture in the pellets. My stove has rust inside the hopper around the lid as well as in the burn area (fins, door, etc) now. Did not have that this fall before using the stove and we have had the stove since 2006.

In my previous post it was suggested I "test" the pellets in the microwave for moisture content. I did and there was a high level of moisture (enough condensation on dish cover to run/drip off when lifted)

I have mentioned it to the dealer by phone (we live 60 miles away). They didn't sound convinced that it was a pellet problem. Yesterday I had a tech here to work on a "squeal" problem on the XXV. Showed him the rust. He didn't seem overly concerned! Within 4 hours of the tech leaving, I had moisture starting to condense on the glass hopper lid again. New/different bag had been loaded into hopper. I had even brought the bag into the house the day before so that it was at "room temperature". Something I have never been concerned about before.

So tonight I brought in 2 bags left from last year from the garage and am burning one of those. No condensation so far after 6 hours of burning.

Tomorrow I am going to call the dealer and tell him that I want to return 2 of the 3 tons for replacement. The first ton we picked up earlier in the fall, before the heavy rains, and they seem to be ok when burned. The pellets in question are Uncle Jeds Pine. The 3rd ton that that we picked up earlier in the fall are Uncle Jeds Bear Mountain and they seem ok.

The reason I want to replace both tons, is that I can't really tell if all bags or only some have the moisture problem. I can't even tell when I load them into the hopper, other than there does seem to be more fines than normal but the pellets look ok.

We transported the pellets to our home originally, would it be wrong of me to ask that they deliver new pellets and pick up the old? Or should I just hope they will replace if we return and count myself lucky they did that? We only have a small trailer and can only haul 1 ton at a time. That would be two 120 mile round trips to exchange pellets.

Am I being unreasonable to consider asking for replacement and delivery?

What? No one wants to weigh in on whether I should ask for replacement and delivery?
Would it be too much to expect?

I'd get on their case about replacing the pellets.

Likely your post didn't get noticed because of the time you posted and the fact that newer posts made will drop it of of the first page before the east coast folks wake up.

Thanks Smokey, appreciate your feed back and suggestion. I never thought of that.

I am on lunch now so no time to call dealer until after work later this afternoon.
Will check back before calling them to see if others weigh in too.

I'd definitely contact them again, and be a bit more demanding than your previous contact seemed to be

I get a hold of the dealer and voice your concerns. See what they say. I hope all goes well for, Having to burn thru them just can't be any fun!

It's amazing how each stove has their own nuiances. I've had 2 tons sitting on pallets in a damp basement thats been flooded out 3 times in the past 2 years and they burn fine in my XXV. Previously I had a bunch of bags get wet and swolen, burned the saw dust, fines and moist pellets in my whitfield without a problem. If indeed your problem is high moisture pellets, thats a new one to me. Good luck with your 2 tons.

Call me chicken... but I put off calling the dealer until tomorrow. I wanted to burn one more bag of our last years pellets again tonight to be absolutely sure that I did not get condensation with them. Pretty confident that I won't, but want to be sure when I talk to the dealer and ask for replacement pellets.

marylu said:
Call me chicken... but I put off calling the dealer until tomorrow. I wanted to burn one more bag of our last years pellets again tonight to be absolutely sure that I did not get condensation with them. Pretty confident that I won't, but want to be sure when I talk to the dealer and ask for replacement pellets.

BaGawk!!!!!

Hello

I had a moisture problem when my garage where my wood Pellets are stored got very cold in the winter. The shock of bringing in a cold bag of pellets and dumping them into the wood pellet stove hopper caused the auger to jam!

The solution was to bring a few bags into the house and let them set for a while near the pellet stove to warm up. After doing this I had no more problem. Now I keep 1.5 Ton in the Warm basement and the other 1.5 ton in the garage.

So my question is:

Does your garage get real cold?? If so that may be part of the issue.

Smokey...gee thanks for agreeing! :)

Don2222...I thought of that too, but in the past I have brought pellets in during the middle of the winter (-15 or colder) and dumped them in the hopper. Never had a problem with condensation. Usually I would fill the wood box and fill the hopper from there. But yes on occasion they went straight from the garage to the hopper.

As a test, I brought one of the bags in question into the house and dumped it into the wood box. Then left it for more than a day before I used it in the stove. Still got condensation. So don't think that is the issue. Especially as our nights are only getting down to the low +30's or mid +20's right now, with days at least into the 40's. Not nearly as cold as it is going to get.

Have had the stove burning now for almost 6 hours with pellets from last year. No condensation visible. Guess I gotta make that phone call tomorrow. No more putting it off, right Smokey? Oh...did I mention that I really dislike confrontation?

I would definitely try to get them replaced .Even if you have to haul them your self .Burning bad pellets is a pain .

Well I called my dealer. He said he will gladly exchange the pellets. I did ask if there was any way they could deliver and pickup the ones we have. Couple problems though, currently they do not have any Uncle Jeds Pine in stock but expecting a truck next week. Also their delivery truck is booked into the first week of December. But he said if there was a delivery scheduled within 30 or so miles of us he would gladly include our delivery. But...would also have to check as our pickup would be hand load as we unloaded by hand from our trailer so they are no longer shrink wrapped on a pallet. He said he will check into it and get back to me.

Other problem is my squeal is back. The tech was here on Monday to work on that and thought it was fixed. But noticed last night it squealed a couple times. Well when I started it up tonight when I got home, before I called the dealer, it started squealing almost right away. So while I was talking to him I also told him the squeal was back and was not fixed.

I am a little disheartened right now. Was so looking forward to getting this all resolved and just sitting by my fire and relaxing and enjoying it. :long:

hossthehermit said:
I'd definitely contact them again, and be a bit more demanding than your previous contact seemed to be

Looks like time to crank the demand level up another notch. Some people respond well to slight urging. Some require a bit more stimulus.

Just wanted to update...We exchanged the 2 ton of pellets this weekend. No problems at all. In fact they were trying to get some deliveries set up for our area so that they could deliver the exchange pellets to us without making a special trip (120 miles round trip). Husband decided to just do it and be done. So I am again a happy camper, also toasty!

marylu said:
Just wanted to update...We exchanged the 2 ton of pellets this weekend. No problems at all. In fact they were trying to get some deliveries set up for our area so that they could deliver the exchange pellets to us without making a special trip (120 miles round trip). Husband decided to just do it and be done. So I am again a happy camper, also toasty!

Good to hear it all worked out! :)

Give your dealer a little plug for his good service....

marylu said:
Well I called my dealer. He said he will gladly exchange the pellets. I did ask if there was any way they could deliver and pickup the ones we have. Couple problems though, currently they do not have any Uncle Jeds Pine in stock but expecting a truck next week. Also their delivery truck is booked into the first week of December. But he said if there was a delivery scheduled within 30 or so miles of us he would gladly include our delivery. But...would also have to check as our pickup would be hand load as we unloaded by hand from our trailer so they are no longer shrink wrapped on a pallet. He said he will check into it and get back to me.

Other problem is my squeal is back. The tech was here on Monday to work on that and thought it was fixed. But noticed last night it squealed a couple times. Well when I started it up tonight when I got home, before I called the dealer, it started squealing almost right away. So while I was talking to him I also told him the squeal was back and was not fixed.

I am a little disheartened right now. Was so looking forward to getting this all resolved and just sitting by my fire and relaxing and enjoying it. :long:

I also had the squeal, they ended up replacing the motor for the auger, squeal gone. Something to consider...

A Great Dealer is worth more in the Long Run.......... Glad you have it worked out!!!!!! :coolsmirk:

I'll gladly put in a "plug" for our dealer. We have been very happy with their service. Yes, we have had a few problems along the way with the stove, but they have responded well each time. Also their response to my request for the pellet exchange was what I hoped and even more.

They are: Warming Trends of Onalaska, WI. Would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone! :)

not who I was expecting with the brands your burning.
glad it worked out for ya.

marylu said:

At this time of year, I make a special effort to stay happy and toasted. Glad it worked out fer ya.

smoke show, out of curiosity, what did you mean "not who I was expecting with the brands your burning"?

Status
Not open for further replies.